Ordering online

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

T Rex

Ordering online

Post by T Rex »

I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of ordering online for an Excalibur. I was thinking of getting a vixen or phoenix and the prices are more competetive if I order online. With a bow there is fitting that must be done and the buyer is best served by a dedicated bow shop. With a crossbow, particularly the Excalibur, it seems that once the owner's manual is read and the bow is assembled you are ready to sight in and shoot. Any thoughts are appreciated as I've never shot a crossbow (yet! I'm looking forward to it.).
A.W

Post by A.W »

I had never fired a crossbow either before I bought one. I stumbled onto this forum one day and in about a week I had one. The stocks are the same size.

Perhaps you could mention what part of the world you live in and somebody will no doubt recommend a dealer that they have dealt with.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
T Rex

Post by T Rex »

A.W.

I live in Tidewater, Virginia (Southeast Virginia). I'm aware of several dealers and will support the local businesses if at all possible. Some of the price disparities are sizable, however. I always go to the bow shop for my compound bow but the sizing variables seem to be worked out on crossbows, especially the Excalibur with its simple recurve system. I know the vixen and phoenix are the same size. My indecision is from the draw weight. I know the cocking pully makes either easy but I want to make sure i can comfortably cock the crossbow even without a cocking aid. I plan to mostly target shoot and comfort, accuracy, and ease of use is the most important features to me. I also understand that the lower draw weight tends to be easier on the string. The vixen has been reported as being more than enough to take deer if I decide to hunt with it.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I'm 6' 1" and a petite 230 lbs. I have the older Exocet which has a 175 pull. I can cock it easily but I would not want to be cocking it by had all day on a 3D range.

The cocking string makes this job easy and at the same time it centers the arrow properly. As you probably know if the arrow is NOT centered then it will fly to the left or right depending on your strongest arm.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
T Rex

Post by T Rex »

A. W.

A good point. I would not want to hand cock it all day. If I forget the cocking aid at home or some other unforseen thing happens, I want to be able to use the crossbow. I'm aware of the potential targeting issue if hand cocking is not done carefully.

A local deal has a phoenix I'm going to try to spam and see how it is. Unfortunately he does not keep vixens in stock because they are not as popular so I will not be able to try them side by side.

Thanks for your info. If you know any tuning issues that would make buying at a bow shop versus internet an issue, I'm interested in hearing about these as well.
Tom

Post by Tom »

T Rex any excalibur bows that is made for hunting (not target bows) would be more than enough for taking a deer. When I got into crossbows 25 years ago they said that the 150lb models out then was way more bow needed for taking a MOOSE. That was true then and is still true today. Shot placement is still the key and with Excalibur, they are accurate. If you "make a miss", 99% of the time it was your mistake and not the bows.

The question you need to ask yourself is, is arrow speed important. If the answer is no, then go with the lower poundage bows. If it is important, then the higher poundage is what your after. Also if your planning to have a ability to hunt with your bow, then check the regulations in your area as well as the surrounding area in case you get a chance to hunt out of State. Many States limit the bows to only 200lbs.

About the bow size and ballance, unless you have extreemly short or long arms, you should be able to find the bow will fit comfortably. If there is a retailer near by, go there to try one if he has a range, if not, just try the fit. Remember though when hunting you will normally have heavier clothing on. Buying on-line is not a problem for alot of members have done it. If you find a great price, go into the local shop and see if he can match (price + shipping) or even come close to it. Being able to go into a shop close to home is always nice.

Hoped this helps and good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

T Rex wrote:A.W.

I live in Tidewater, Virginia (Southeast Virginia).

T, basspro down in Hampton sells the excals and you can test fit yourself with any model they have. Im 6'3 and a skinny 165pounds. I can draw the exocet200 by hand, but its not simple and i just dont like doing that because I might cock it off center. The cocking ain is a breeze with this bow though. Makes it feel like 50pounds :twisted:

The 175pound model should be easy, but it would be a PITA cocking 10-15 times for target like said above. I farm and have tough hands, but drawing the 200 by hand 4-5 times leaves blood spots from the string tension on my fingers...

either model might seem like alot to handle at first by cocking and uncocking, but it becomes simple after a week though. I couldnt uncock my stringer at first. Now I can finally do that with my thumb and etc. You learn the little tips and tricks fast with these bows.

also, excal will be at the hunting show next weekend in richmond. You can drive up and meet the founders and get any questions answered
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I ordered my Exocet 200 online a few weeks ago and got a good deal. (wife was pleased) I've had a 150# crossbow for over 15 years. The Excal was a little much to _cock at first even with a rope aid but soon I could _cock it without breaking a sweat. Even in the heat I have shot it at least a half dozen shots a day.

You'll be happy with which ever Excalibur you choose.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I also stumbled upont this site, I had never shot a xbow, I live in New Zealand the price for a Phoenix here is $1,400 bare bow only. I ordered mine from Canada online with all accessories and Varizone scope 1 doz bolts for less than bare bow here. I am very please with my Excalibur and not to mention the back up service is second to none.
If it feels good, DO IT.
Rich

Post by Rich »

T-Rex,

Wilcox in Hampton also sells them, personally I will not shop there though. Their customer service is horrible and knowledge of xbows is limited. Tom the owner tried selling me a string for a carved limb bow insisting it would fit my Exocet 200. Prices are considerably higher also. Chris' Bait and Tackle on the Eastern Shore also sells EXCAL's and prices are equal to or better than Bass Pro, you just have the bridge toll to figure in.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

NZ Hunter wrote:I also stumbled upont this site, I had never shot a xbow, I live in New Zealand the price for a Phoenix here is $1,400 bare bow only. I ordered mine from Canada online with all accessories and Varizone scope 1 doz bolts for less than bare bow here. I am very please with my Excalibur and not to mention the back up service is second to none.
1400?? Holy crap! I thought Canada had high prices :shock: :shock:

I need to more to where you live and sell everything I have, then move back :D