No Vixen Deluxe? :(

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

marmot

No Vixen Deluxe? :(

Post by marmot »

Man, I am really angry with myself for selling my Vixen Deluxe to Striper after undergoing shoulder surgery a couple of years ago! The pain is back in spades, and it looks like I am going to have to go back to hunting with a crossbow, as I prefer to stay out of the woods during the firearms season (too many trigger happy, unsafe hunters). I purchased a black powder rifle and assorted goodies last season (available for sale in the classifieds section if anyone is interested); however, I never got around to using it because I was so bummed about the pain and stiffness in my shoulder returning to pre-surgery levels.

Anyway, I know that it would be a challenge to set a price point that would not conflict with the Phoenix, but I wish that Excalibur would reconsider bringing back the Vixen Deluxe (even if by special order only). For me, it is more about being able to comfortably cock the crossbow by hand than it is about money (I could cock the Vixen Deluxe in my tree stand). I also liked the Vixen Deluxe’s sweeter firing cycle.
Last edited by marmot on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Marmot, I know how you feel about Vixens. I am partiial to black Vixens myself and was upset when they discontinued that model. Could you not buy a Pheonix and trade the new riser with someone here with a machined riser and a couple of $$. That would give you a Sweet lookin' camoed Vixen with all the toys just like mine.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

The risers will not interchange! Can't remember which one is wider, but there's a slight difference between the old & new. Tried to make my Phoenix a Vixen deluxe, and it didn't work! :cry:
wabi
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

marmot I don,t understand other than the cammo finish on the delux the brown model is the same.if you don,t like colour there were lots of threads on here about painting a cammo finish on it. If it wasnt aross the border and three states iI would sell my vixen deluxe.
marmot

Post by marmot »

bait pile willie wrote:marmot I don,t understand other than the cammo finish on the delux the brown model is the same.
The Vixen Deluxe also came with dissipater bars. I guess that I am going to have to order a set of bars and install them myself.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

After posting the inquiry here asking the opinion of the Vixen I spent quite a bit of time researching the model and I found a seller[1] currently advertising the deluxe version of the Vixen.I didn't get around to calling but the dealer is:Russo Outdoors,their price is $365.00[approx].Type their name in on a search and you'll find it. :wink:
Last edited by Bucko on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Marmot ,
I have some dissipater bars here if you want them. You will need to buy new pads for them. As for the riser I will trade with you. To get the riser to work you would need to grind about .010" off my riser so it will fit on your rail. The new rail is wider then the old one. I have an Exocet 175 now with the new riser it would be a 200.
Either way if you want the dissipater bars just pm me.
dw

Post by dw »

went to russo's. $365.00 for the vixen deluxe. same price as a phoenix.

"dw"
"you gotta love it"
marmot

Post by marmot »

dw wrote:went to russo's. $365.00 for the vixen deluxe. same price as a phoenix."
Exactly! That is the problem with offering a deluxe version of the Vixen. It would be very difficult to price. The Phoenix, when discounted, is only about sixty dollars more than the plain jane version of the Vixen.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Marmot,

I've got a straight riser from my 2001 Exomag that I'll send you for postage.

You can then make a Vixen deluxe out of a Phoenix.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
marmot

Post by marmot »

Woody Williams wrote:Marmot,
I've got a straight riser from my 2001 Exomag that I'll send you for postage.
You can then make a Vixen deluxe out of a Phoenix.
Thanks for the offer, but I still have not made up my mind as to what I am going purchase. I may just purchase the Plain Jane Vixen and be done with it, or I may just purchase the Phoenix and find that I like it! Either way, my wife says that I need to move some gear out before I can bring anything else into the house. I plan on selling my Hoyt Havoc XT2000 along with some other gear to make room for some new additions.
htoler

Post by htoler »

I dont think you would have any problems spanning a Phoenix Im only 5`2 and around 135 and I can do it by hand or could I have an Exocet now,, it wasent easy but I could do it,, I use a rope cocking aid myself I kinda like my back. and dont want to damage it anymore than it already is,,
I think if you got a Phoenix you would love it Its one sweet crossbow..
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Phoenix is a little harder to kock than the old Vixen, but the big difference is the effort required to string it (doing both without the aids).
I use a rope kocking aid most of the time anyway, but I like to be able to kock it without the aid in case I loose or break it.
wabi
marmot

Post by marmot »

wabi wrote:The Phoenix is a little harder to kock than the old Vixen, but the big difference is the effort required to string it (doing both without the aids).
I use a rope kocking aid most of the time anyway, but I like to be able to kock it without the aid in case I loose or break it.

I started off using the kocking aid on the Vixen, but soon discovered that I could kock it by hand (thanks for the filter-proof spellings).
marmot

Post by marmot »

Well, after giving the decision considerable thought, I ordered a deerhide brown Vixen. The Pheonix was attractive; however, I really liked my Vixen Deluxe, and, even though I now have a metal detector, I cannot imagine having a crossbow that could place a bolt even further under the sod (come on, you have done it at least once :) ). I also remember how much of a pain in the butt it was to have to remove the dissipater pads to unstring the Vixen Deluxe for storage