How Accurate are you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

How Accurate are you?

Post by confederate »

I was wondering how good you guys shoot off hand? My Exocet 175 will really drill off the bench but when I shoot off hand my groups really open up. I dont practice a lot offhand because when I Deer hunt I always steady myself with my elbow on the stand or the tree. My off hand groups are 3 inches or more at 20 yards off hand.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

practice, practice, practice..............and practice
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Swede

Post by Swede »

I shoot yellow(9-10) on normal FITA target at standing position 55m(60yards). I have a Vixen. I also shoot some fieldtarget crossbow and I guess that helps alot. My breathing and my standing position have improved alot since I started shooting "field".
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im no pro, but i can get 3-4inch groups at 30-40yards... the closer the better for me. I need a rest for anything over 40 and of coarse my shots are dead on with a dead rest from 0-60yards :twisted:
Swede

Post by Swede »

Im not a very good shooter but its like GaryL says.....practice practice. Maybe visit some fieldcrossbow club and get some tips. But I guess the most imortant thing is to be good at short distance during hunting conditions.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Below is a group I shot yesterday free hand at 25 yards. All my hunting is bush hunting with no rest so thats the way I allways practice. The last month I have destroyed six bolts and came very close to spliting open many more, check out the nock ends in the photo. this group measured 1.5 inches from centre to centre five shots. Target is a sack stuffed with plastic bacs which my daughter drew a heart on fo a target. :D
If it feels good, DO IT.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

ooops forgot to post the pic, here it is
If it feels good, DO IT.
Swede

Post by Swede »

NZ.....Nice shooting!!! Maybe you should shoot at three spots or something else. I have stoped shooting at just one spot now. You can see whan happend on 60m(65yards) a while back at this posting. A picture at the end of that page.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

now thats a group;) but like said, I never shoot at the same spot twice anymore since it would drill them into each other.. 4-7bucks a bolt isnt cheap :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Some days better than others, but I can usually shoot 3" @ 40 yards.
NZHunter - watch those knocks with nicks in them from being hit by orther arrows!!!! They eat serving!!!!
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi wrote:Some days better than others, but I can usually shoot 3" @ 40 yards.
NZHunter - watch those knocks with nicks in them from being hit by orther arrows!!!! They eat serving!!!!
I was thinking the same thing.. under fire thats probably like a razor blade against the string :shock:
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I have been smoothing over the burs but I guess I am asking for trouble for a dry fire. I have a dozen nocks on thier way to go into some new shafts. I usualy do shoot at direrent spots on the bag then sometimes I cant help myself to try for a same spot group, I does hurt my pocket.
If it feels good, DO IT.
confederate

Post by confederate »

Well guys, I need to practice some I guess. Like I said before, I always prop on the stand when Deer Hunting. As long as I do that I'm deadly. I changed to a Crossbow 2 seasons ago. I have shot at 5 deer in those 2 bow seasons and made perfect hits on all 5. I just havent practiced much free handed. I got to get on the ball to get as good as you guys.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

At 20 yards off hand its not a good thing to aim at the same spot twice or an arrow is going to be wrecked. I have a good number of arrows that look like the NZ Hunter's. :lol: If I do my part the Exocet will do the rest.
Moniteaumule

Post by Moniteaumule »

The key that I have found is.........FOLLOWTHROUGH!

You should see that arrow hit your target through the scope.

A bullet leaves the barrel anywhere between 2500 to 3500 FPS, An arrow or Bolt leaves at 300 or so.

That arrow is on the string a LONG TIME before it clears the X-bow compared to a rifle.

FOLLOWTHROUGH IS THE KEY!

Moniteaumule