Mechanicals and Spine Shots?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Mechanicals and Spine Shots?

Post by ecoaster »

Chris4570 and I went out to R.J.s place today for a "meet and greet", and all the talk about shot scenerios and placements got me thinking.

I know a spine shot is not the ideal, but sometimes it is the only one presented. I have been thinking of trying out the NAP Spitfires, but do not want to shoot them it they will not put a deer down with a shot to the spine. It would be a last resort shot if none other was presented.

Anyone have any experience with this?

R.J. thanks again for the hospitality and showing us around your neck of the woods.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I have been shoting Nap Spitfires 100gr for the last 5 years (same 3 heads) I have had one spine shot ( I missed judged the distance) the deer went straight down and I finished him off with a well placed next shot in seconds. When I retreved the first bolt the only thing that was wrong with the head was 2 off the blades were bent.

I have taken 7 deer with my spitfires and have never had to trail a deer more that 70 yards. I have just purchased my second set of 3 heads for this year as my last 3 are starting to where out so they are now my practice heads.

The thing I like about the spitfire is there are no "O" rings to hold it together and I just change the blades each year and they are ready to go.
shoot straight stay late.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Steve : No problem ... glad you guys could make it ... Chris's custom crossbow stand has made a beauty addition to my art collection !

Great swapping hunting stories ... really gets the blood pumping ... can hardly wait until Oct 1st !

As for spine shots ... not ideal , but with the precision accuracy of the Excalibur set ups , makes them an option when the time comes !

I've taken 6 deer with spine shots , and all but 1 have dropped in their tracks !

As for Nap Spitfires 100gr ... I've never tried them ... I'm still shooting the " old faithfull " Wasp 130 grain cam locks ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Tom

Post by Tom »

ecoaster my dad took a buck with a spine shot. The head fully entered the spine, needed a puller to pul the head back out after they started to butcher it. The head survived and only had three bent blades. I was totally amazed at the durability of the head. When they split the spine, there was a full immage of the head in the spine.

By the way, the deer dropped right there.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
jw

spine

Post by jw »

I would never Spine a deer as a goal. If they get hit there so be it. They will drop with any broadhead.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

jw.you are right.the animal will only drop if part or all of the spinal cord is severed if the angle of the deer is too steep and you aim for the spine and miss and hit only one lung good luck in finding it.
chris4570

Re: Mechanicals and Spine Shots?

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote:R.J. thanks again for the hospitality and showing us around your neck of the woods.
Ditto!! We'll have to repay the favour and show you around our neck of the woods.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

I haven't had experience with a spine shot, but last year, I got both lungs, heart and broke the deers offside shoulder, (slightly quartering away), deer dropped on the spot. I would not be worried about a spine shot if that was the only shot oppourunity available.
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I can not consider a spine shot an ethical shot to take with a bow I would pass on the shot and wait for a better angle or another day.I was always taught to take the side double lung or quartering away shot.to much can go wrong with a poorly placed arrow next thing we hear will be guys taking texas heart shots!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I hit a buck High once from an tree deflection.found arrow with fletching missin...spine hit..he hit the ground and was kickin and jerkin and rollin. By the time i loaded another arrow he was up and gone to never be found...As I watched at first he kinda drug his hind quarters but what i couldnt believe was he gathered himself enough to jump a barbed wire fence and run across the field and gone..Im sure it just stunded him alot of blood but the scare he went thru sent him like a shot far away. I gave chase and searched alot..I was useing mechanicals..I hate them..Spine shots I never go for..you must take out the lungs to stop that machine on a regular basis..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I do not think that this thread was put forth to promote spine shots. More or less to find out if the spitfire would withstand if a spine hit happened. To make sure the head was strong enough.

I would never recommend trying for a spine shot. The area that would need to be hit would be restricting you alot compared to the vitals with clean kills. But if you were in a tree stand and the deer was directly below you presenting the vitals but with the spine almost in line, I would take the shot (but for the vitals), knowing that if I did take the deer in the spine, the NAP Spitfire that I use would stand up and do the job. They really impressed me when I checked out the head after it was PULLED from the spine. The whole head was imbedded into the spine, includding the blades. The only dammage was the blades were bent, no breaks or other dammage, not even the tip on the head.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]