Feathers ? or Vanes ? New question added

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vapredhunter

Feathers ? or Vanes ? New question added

Post by vapredhunter »

Ok I was getting ready to order some new bolts for my Exocet 200, and was tring to decide Feathers or Vanes, Archery Warehouse offers both. With my compound I always used feathers any info would be helpful.
Last edited by vapredhunter on Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I always shot vanes on my compound since they were harder to mess up
A.W

Post by A.W »

bstout wrote:With feathers anything goes!
Sure do. :wink:

http://home.primus.ca/~eastleaf/malts2.html
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tom

Post by Tom »

In my opinion I would stick to feathers. Veins only have one advantage and that is they stand up better then feathers but if looked after feathers will stand up pretty good.

Feathers are lighter (one vien wieghs aprox what 3 feathes do) track the arrow straighter, on a pass through, they will retain residue better then veins.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Ok my bolts got here today with feathers instead of vanes. I noticed when I put the bolt in the fletching gets pushed down a little by the scope mount is this normal. They shot about 3" high 3" to the left. I Didn't expect them to shoot the same but I thought it might be because they were touching, any ideas. Thanks Chris
wabi

Post by wabi »

You say the feathers touch the scope mount. Is this because they have a higher profile than the vanes you were shooting?
It shouldn't have any affect on flight as long as that is the only place thay're hitting. If they have more offset and are touching the channel in the rail it might make a change in flight. I've shot feathers & vanes with the same shafts, fletched at the same º offset and they flew to the same exact point (with the same total arrow weight w/point). My guess would be that the angle of the fletching might be different, which can cause a change in flight.
wabi
PRB

Post by PRB »

Yes vapredhunter I had the same problem with feathers on the scope mount problem as well. If yours is like mine was then the problem is that the edge of the scope mount grabs the feathers thus bends them and separates them against theyre natural grain. I dont have a scope mounted these days. I hope to go back to a scope some day but since then Ive went to the 2" Blazer Broadhead vanes. The only weigh a total of about 7 to 10 grains (for all three) more than feathers. I personally like feathers better than vanes in many ways (mostly looks) but I also dont believe they compare in durability with my strong belief on keeping things simple and maintenance free as possible...good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I'm a supporter of feathers, but recently, I have tested Blazer 2" vanes (with 0.1" angle right) with 2213+2020 xx78 arrows, 100grains Broadhead Wasp Boss SST, 400 grains total weight.
With my Exomax the speed has been 332fps.
At 66 yards the precision is the same as 3" feathers (3" group) but arrows have much more kinetic energy (10% more). So the test has been very very positive.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Thanks for your help bows shooting great. I ordered a FFF string tomorrow when it gets here I'm going to see how that does for me.