Smokepole hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Smokepole hunters

Post by crazyfarmer »

which sabots/bullets are you guys using? Is anyone using the TC powerbelts. I think they have the yellow tip? If so, how do they shoot and do they leave a nice hole? Ive been using some remington 303gr sabots for the past years but I was thinking of switching for this season.

yeah i know this is a bow forum, but i know you guys blackpowder hunt also :lol: :P
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dad and I both tried Powerbelts in our T/C Omega / Encore and got TERRIBLE groups with two different bullet weights, off a bench rest with 777 powder.
We found T/C Shockwave/made by Hornady(SST) gave the best accuracy. We settled in on the 200 gr for deer. I will test the Dead Center Bullets this season. I like their high BC.
One must experiment.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Barnes MZ - very tight fit, and awesome knockdown power!
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

enormous wrote:Dad and I both tried Powerbelts in our T/C Omega / Encore and got TERRIBLE groups with two different bullet weights, off a bench rest with 777 powder.
We found T/C Shockwave/made by Hornady(SST) gave the best accuracy. We settled in on the 200 gr for deer. I will test the Dead Center Bullets this season. I like their high BC.
One must experiment.

Norm
I meant the shockwaves.. those are the ones with the yellow tips. Thanks for the info
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I have been using the Remington Copper Solids and 100gr of pyrodex and get 1" groups at 100yards off the rest, out of my Remington Muzzelloader. My only problem is I am having problems finding any more of them. So this year I may have to start trying new bullets if I can not get any more.
shoot straight stay late.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I have not found the Powerbelts to be accurate in either my T/C BD or my Savage 10ML.

The Shockwaves 250 & 200 gr have given very good results in both rifles with 777 or Pyrodex.

I've also used 300gr Remington .458" with crush rib Harvester sabots and achieved excellent results.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

I shoot 100 grains of 777 with a 250 gr. Shockwave out of my TC Omega. This patterned the best for me. Lined up 1 inch high at 100 yards.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have a CVA Hunter Bolt and had to work out loads for the bullets that I use. Good reason to do shooting EH!!!!! :lol:

Powerbelts in the 295 & 245 work well for me (2 & 2.5" @ 100 yards) but I had to play with the amount of powder for each load. I have also got 2 loads for the horniday XTP in 180 & 245gr. Both group well out to 100 yards in the 2 inch range. The 180gr XTP is by far the fastest, I forget what it was measured at, but it was faster then my dad's 300 savage.

All in all my powerbelts are my hunting choice because of the accuracy and ease of loading.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

devilsedge wrote:I have been using the Remington Copper Solids and 100gr of pyrodex and get 1" groups at 100yards off the rest, out of my Remington Muzzelloader. My only problem is I am having problems finding any more of them. So this year I may have to start trying new bullets if I can not get any more.
same here.. I cant find hardly any of the remington's anywhere! There 303 grain did me well, but i only have a handful left from the past 2 years

do the lighter 240ish grains leave a good hole like the 300's would also? I would like to stick around 300grains.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Crazyfarmer,

The 250 grain shockwaves were devastating on all deer shot last year and very accurate. I also like a 300 grain bullet, I have a new Omega I haven't shot yet but will be using 300 grain shockwaves with it.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:Crazyfarmer,

The 250 grain shockwaves were devastating on all deer shot last year and very accurate. I also like a 300 grain bullet, I have a new Omega I haven't shot yet but will be using 300 grain shockwaves with it.

Rich
good enough.. i only took one deer last year with mine(past 2 years), so when i do fire it, its normally at something i'm gonna mount so I want to make sure its gonna do the job 8)

if the 240's do the trick, then the 300's should be better at close up. I normally wont shoot over 100-120yards with mine so most shots are 10-60yards
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

I am using 54 cal 425 Gr minies cast from a Lyman mold. I don't know if you could call them sabots,but they are paper patched.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I shoot a TC Encore and I have tried the powerbelts and I could not get them to group satisfactory to me no matter what powder type or charge I tried. On the other hand I have been shooting the TC Shockwaves for a couple years with 150 grains of 777 and they shoot 1-1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards all day long and that 777 powder is awesome I have killed 4 deer with thes bullets so far at ranges of 20 yards to 100 yards with great results I use the 250 grain version and am very satisfied M&M
TScottW

Post by TScottW »

I have been using the T/C Shockwaves since they came out. I love them. Granted they are very tight to put in but produce excellent results for me.

In my CVA Huntermag I'm shooting 85 grains of 777 FFG with a 300 grain Shockwave. I consisently put three shots into 3/4" at 100 yards with this set up. So far I have had no bullet recoveries, they have all been complete pass throughs with deer going down quick.

Dad got his first muzzleloader last year, a Knight disc lite. With 90 grains of 777 FFG and a 250 grain SST we keep three shots inside of an inch.

Needless to say I like them :D
"A free people ought to be armed."
-George Washington
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

TScottW wrote:I have been using the T/C Shockwaves since they came out. I love them. Granted they are very tight to put in but produce excellent results for me.

In my CVA Huntermag I'm shooting 85 grains of 777 FFG with a 300 grain Shockwave. I consisently put three shots into 3/4" at 100 yards with this set up. So far I have had no bullet recoveries, they have all been complete pass throughs with deer going down quick.

Dad got his first muzzleloader last year, a Knight disc lite. With 90 grains of 777 FFG and a 250 grain SST we keep three shots inside of an inch.

Needless to say I like them :D
just what I wanna hear;) I shoot 90grains so that with a 300gr SW should do the job. My remingtons were tight to put in also so that wouldnt be any difference for me.