Impressive Exomax Accuracy Typical?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Impressive Exomax Accuracy Typical?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Folks ...

I've been shooting my new Exomax and have been very pleased indeed with it's accuracy so far. I set it up with the standard accessories from the Right Stuff package ... no sweat at all ... been repairing, setting up and tuning compounds for years.

From a standing rested position, at 10 yards on an inside range, I've been able to consistently hit spots the size of an aspirin with the supplied bolts. I am a very experienced rifleman, and competent shot in that discipline, which surely helps ... but I never expected such incredible accuracy from a bow of any type. I haven't dared to fire multiple arrows at one spot, but refer to the degree of impact for sighting in. Hitting a bullseye at longer ranges has been a breeze, if I do my part with sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze and follow through.

I am tickled to death with the accuracy of this thing. Once I got over jumping at the noise, I was set. Now for lots of offhand practice!

Tell me what your experience has been with Excaliburs. I give the bow the credit!

Grizz
Grizz
Tom

Post by Tom »

bstout wrote:Yep! You can shoot the nuts off of a knat with any Excalibur crossbow!
Good job that I am not a Knat :shock: :shock: .

Your experiance in shooting will give you the disapline needed in shooting crossbows. One thing some shooters have a problem with is that they will not hold onto the target long enough after shooting (a bullet exits faster then the arrow leaving the rail. After you learn to hold longer onto the target, it willalso make you a better rifle shooter. Your archery experiance will also help you with the crossbow. Crossbow hunting is almost the same as with the other archery equipment but with only minor differences.

Grizz if you keep care and take care of your excalibur, it will take care of you with top notch accuracy and dependablity. I shoot one of the first models that Excalibur produced, the Relayer, which is now over 23 years in use and only very minor problems that were easily fixed in the field.

Good luck and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

I recently purchased an Exocet 200 and was also blown away by the accuracy of this crossbow. Fast yes, but my other bows seemed fast also. The flat shooting and dead on accuracy is what is I love the most. The Vari-Zone scope is truley amazing. I can shoot 50 yard 3 inch circles all day long from a bench. Some of my friends and family has commented on the loud "twang" it makes when you fire it. But, I hardly notice it anymore. I love mine and only wished I acquired my xbow many many years ago. This deer season should be a blast this year.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

KYXbow wrote:I recently purchased an Exocet 200 and was also blown away by the accuracy of this crossbow.

I can shoot 50 yard 3 inch circles all day long from a bench. Some of my friends and family has commented on the loud "twang" it makes

This deer season should be a blast this year.
Amen to that, KYX.

I've shot several hundred shots from Exocet200. I love shooting this xbow! I have shot 4 different types and 3 different weights of fixed broadheads, all with good results. Good enough for hunting accuracy.

Took a little while to figure out how to "cocK" the 200 but now it's a breeze.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
gad

Re: Impressive Exomax Accuracy Typical?

Post by gad »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Hey, Folks ...

I've been shooting my new Exomax and have been very pleased indeed with it's accuracy so far. I set it up with the standard accessories from the Right Stuff package ... no sweat at all ... been repairing, setting up and tuning compounds for years.

From a standing rested position, at 10 yards on an inside range, I've been able to consistently hit spots the size of an aspirin with the supplied bolts. I am a very experienced rifleman, and competent shot in that discipline, which surely helps ... but I never expected such incredible accuracy from a bow of any type. I haven't dared to fire multiple arrows at one spot, but refer to the degree of impact for sighting in. Hitting a bullseye at longer ranges has been a breeze, if I do my part with sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze and follow through.

I am tickled to death with the accuracy of this thing. Once I got over jumping at the noise, I was set. Now for lots of offhand practice!

Tell me what your experience has been with Excaliburs. I give the bow the credit!

Grizz
Yes, typical. Its easy to shoot all the bolts of the quiver inside one inch at 20 yards. Just like you said, you must do your part with sight picture, etc...

That's why my signature is: "if you do your part, this xbow will never fail"
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
NightTrain

Post by NightTrain »

Some great points mentioned in this thread. My Phoenix follows suit with respect to accuracy. The consistency is outstanding. And once I figured out the benefits of holding the sight alignment after the shot, well things only improved.

"if you do your part, this xbow will never fail" You’re damn right!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Follow through and keep the limbs level are the main points I try to remember.
wabi
DustyinAZ

Post by DustyinAZ »

EXOMAX 225: What happens whe you dont pull your bolts at 40 yrds :lol: aim point was at the orange dot on the left you can see the 3 other holes next to it. 2nd time this happened to me now I shoot at a different dot each time.
:idea: :lol: DUH...
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Where does everyone get these extra long arrows with the double fletching?? :lol: :roll:

Excalibur-- They are hard to beat
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I purchased an Exomax in May06. My experience had been Gun hunting and the first time I went target shooting, I had a 3 inch grouping at 50 yards using a bench rest. This crossbow has exceeded all expectations.
I went for the 3rd time target shooting last week and had a consistant 1 inch grouping @ 50 yards.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

DustyinAZ wrote:EXOMAX 225: What happens whe you dont pull your bolts at 40 yrds :lol: aim point was at the orange dot on the left you can see the 3 other holes next to it. 2nd time this happened to me now I shoot at a different dot each time.
Robinhood or not you're still missing that orange dot :wink: :lol: :lol:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

pphoenix wrote:
DustyinAZ wrote:EXOMAX 225: What happens whe you dont pull your bolts at 40 yrds :lol: aim point was at the orange dot on the left you can see the 3 other holes next to it. 2nd time this happened to me now I shoot at a different dot each time.
Robinhood or not you're still missing that orange dot :wink: :lol: :lol:
Ayep ya still need to do a little adjusting on the sights/scope :wink: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
grappledad

Post by grappledad »

Man, tough crowd.
babzog

Post by babzog »

Sierra wrote: Took a little while to figure out how to "cocK" the 200 but now it's a breeze.
I can't cock it by hand... tried and tried and just can't do it without causing a lot of pain in my back (I have no idea how the guy in the video does it). I gotta use the rope cocking aid which makes cocking and de-cocking a snap.
Tom

Post by Tom »

babzog wrote:
Sierra wrote: Took a little while to figure out how to "cocK" the 200 but now it's a breeze.
I can't cock it by hand... tried and tried and just can't do it without causing a lot of pain in my back (I have no idea how the guy in the video does it). I gotta use the rope cocking aid which makes cocking and de-cocking a snap.
babzog fisrt of all ..... Welcome to the site.

Now about cocking, there is nothing wrong with using the rope cocker as it will make sure you load the bow straight every time. I have a 75 year old dad that cocks his exomag by hand, but has started to use the rope cocker. When you say that your attempts to cock the bow by hand causes alot of pain in your back suggests that your using your back and arms instead of your legs. Bend our legs, straight arms, grip the string then straighten your legs keeping your back straight as much as possible. Depending on your height, you might need to use your arms to complete the last few inches, but there should be very little strain on your back.

Hope that helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]