Understanding FOC without using math.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's a FOC link that may be of assistance.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery9.html

Good example Bob. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good explanation.
I've shot a longbow for many decades now, and I've recently found some carbon shafts that are full length tapered very similar to the dart shape. With a heavy hunting point they indeed do have dart-like flight. Not sure how much influance the tapered shaft design affects flight, but it definately helps! Of course a tapered shaft isn't an option with the crossbow, but the arrow does need to be front heavy.
wabi
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

I looked at that link and got a severe headache !!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!EXOCET 200!!!!!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

buckbuster wrote:I looked at that link and got a severe headache !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel your pain :lol: :lol: :lol:
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

A.W.

Thank you for the website address. On that site is all the proof I ever needed as to why a person should shoot mechanicals and not broadheads.

"I think it's obvious from the diagrams that adding a broadhead, especially a fixed one upsets the real CP measurement considerably, in the Easton FOC method there's no effect while in the AFC there is a penalty because of the length(not really enough though). The diagrams from Joe Tapley's page should help explain why an arrow which flys great with field points suddenly goes to crap with broadheads even though the "apparent" FOC seems reasonable. "

Above HTML/Javascript Copyright (C) 1999 All Rights Reserved by Steve Jackson.

Clearly stated, it is a waste of time and poor practice methods to use a target tip and then switch to a broadhead a few weeks before the season opens. The mechanical (Spitfire and most assurdely the Rage) practice target tips all fly and have Point of Impact identical to the actual mechanical head used during the hunt. Therefore the time spent practicing is well used and requuires no adjustment of pins or aiming points. Your practice time becomes very well used for developing shot placement. Mechanicals Rule
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur