Exomax String Life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

Exomax String Life

Post by Boltshooter »

I haven't posted for several months. Great to be back onthe forum! :D BillT, the new website is a huge improvement.

Anyway, a few days ago I decided to take a few shots with the Exomax, for the first time in a while. One thing lead to another, and I ended up taking quite a few shots. Still as accurate as ever, but the same old problem of string wear is just the same. The center serving on the string was brand new when I started shooting, but after about 75 shots, it was completely worn through. That night, I spent about two hours polishing the "claw", and the inside of the receiver housing where it contacts the string, with emery paper. (I also put new serving on the string.) Next day I shot the Exomax some more, and got slightly better results; the serving lasted 125-150 shots before it wore through. To me, this seems like abnormally short string life, even for the Exomax. I always wax the string profusely. Does anybody have an idea what my problem might be? I'm losing sleep over this one.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Big John

Strings

Post by Big John »

Boltshooter:

I am averaging about 150 to 175 shots on a serving with the Max.
I keep everthing well waxed and tuned. No burs or rough edges either.
I am finding out that it doesn't matter what strings either, they all get about the same from these Powerfull, Highstrung, thouroughbred Race horses they call the Max! I will not complain at all either. If I have to buy a few strings per season to practice and hunt then so be it. :)
Don't know if this helps but at least you know the truth about it.
I love it far more than my exocet or exomag. 8)

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Rich

Post by Rich »

I picked up a tip on here that seems to extend my string life. Sorry I can't give credit to who posted it, but I wax the serving and then heat it with a hair dryer and melt the wax in the serving. Seems to last longer.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

Thanks for the tips. I guess string life is just one of the tradeoffs with the exomax. It's still an extremely fine crossbow, in my opinion. However, it might be interesting if Excalibur introduced a "Deluxe" version of the Max with a teflon coated rail. (While they're at it, they might include a polished blue finish on all the metal, and an oil finished walnut stock! :wink: I think many people who are fed up with the modern "Star Wars" style crossbows would love this :!: )
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
widowman

Post by widowman »

I shoot an exocet 200 and have hundreds of shots on my string. I wax the string and burnish the wax in with my fingers.

I have little wear on the serving and none on the string.

What I do notice is that the serving actually pushes to the side where it contacts the claw. I think that people see this and think that the serving is "worn" through.

Take you string to a archery prop shop and ask them to re-serve it, it will save yhou alot of money on strings. If you are ambitious, buy some serving string and do it yourself.