aligning broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

aligning broadheads

Post by M&M »

If you are supposed to align 3 blade heads in line with the vane/fletching then how are you supposed to align a 4 blade type? M&M
BigBear

Re: aligning broadheads

Post by BigBear »

M&M wrote:If you are supposed to align 3 blade heads in line with the vane/fletching then how are you supposed to align a 4 blade type? M&M
hi..looking down your rail/barrel..with the bolt in place, it should look like this....+...hope this helps..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
M&M

Post by M&M »

that sounds reasonable. M&M
awshucks

alignment

Post by awshucks »

Don't know what 4 blade you're trying to align, but my Slick Tricks just screw on and are ready to go, although I fire each one at least once to make sure. I get maybe one out of 8 or so that doesn't meet my needs, and that is almost always in the arrow anyhow. I go thru alot of b-heads and arrows where I'm at cause it's all rock. If you see two touching today, I swear there will be three there tomorrow!
"Eze 18:21"
Tom

Post by Tom »

bstout wrote:If your hunting head is mounted to the shaft correctly (perfectly concentric) and you can spin the completed assembly on a hard suface and see no visible wobble where the head attaches to the shaft, that is all that matters.
I agree with the above comment. Once I started to shoot my Relayer I never worried about anything other then the spin test with the head/arrow.
As long as there is no wobble in the head, you are good to go.
Last edited by Tom on Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks Bob & Tom for pointing out what is really important. If a broadhead isn't 100% perfectly aligned it isn't going to fly straight regardless of blade orientation. I know some folks believe in aligning the blades a certain way, and that's fine - as long as the broadhead is perfectly aligned with the shaft it will fly well. But then if you're like me (screw or glue it on, spin it, and if it spins with no wobble it's ready to use) it flies well, too! And when I say it's ready to use I would point out I always test it on a target before I hunt with it - each and every broadhead/arrow combination gets tested on a target before I hunt with it! It's easy to re-sharpen or replace blades after the test, and when I grab an arrow out of the quiver I know it's going to fly right!
wabi