got high today....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

got high today....

Post by wabi »

Well, not too high but high enough to hang my old strap-on stand behind the feeder. I went over it the other day to check everything out for safety, then decided to go ahead and hang it so the critters can get used to it's being there. Thinking seriously about trying a new trick this year. Someone was telling me they take an old feed sack, stuff it with paper or plastic to fill it, dress it in an old camo shirt, then set it in their stand and tie it to the tree. Said the deer get used to seeing the "occupant" in the stand and never look twice to see if the "occupant" is holding a bow or not. :lol:
wabi
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Wabi,
Is it legal to hunt deer over corn, apples, etc?
!!!!!!EXOCET 200!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Yes,
Here in Ohio baiting deer is legal.
wabi
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Cool,
Weve been hopin that they would legalize it down here. That probably is one of the reasons yaws deer are so monsterously huge, what do yall use corn??
!!!!!!EXOCET 200!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use shelled corn. The last load I bought was messed up by someone who didn't clean the equipment before the run it through, and it had a light coating of molasses on it. :lol: Needless to say, the deer like this batch!
I took my 6 year old out to shoot his new bow this evening (a fiberglass "beginner" recurve) and we walked down by the food plot & feeder. There were two big fawns there munching corn & very reluctant to leave. We got within 30 yards or so before they finally moved off. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera.
wabi
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

wabi,,,,, John Wootters, who wrote for Peterson's Hunting, use to put a dummy in his stands at his Texas ranch so that the deer would bet uset to seeing someone in the stands. Then when the time came, he'd replace th dummy with himslf and his rifle. The deer never noticed the difference.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
exocet

Post by exocet »

Wow, I didn`t know baiting was legal in Ohio. Here in Pennsylvania man, you can go to jail for that!! They take it very seriously. Jack.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I can just hear the deer standing back in the brush discussing it though - "Well I'm ready for a bite of corn, which dummy is in the stand tonight?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Went back yesterday evening and there were a couple fawns at the feeder. I think I'll leave the new stand in place for a few days, then add the dummy. Couldn't hurt to get 'em used to seeing it occupied.
wabi
rwk

Post by rwk »

Wabi i've stuffed clothes and left them in stands for a couple of years, it works. I'll be putting up a couple of stands next week end and helping the farmer put away about 25 cord of wood, sore back for sure. Rich
RayGunter

Post by RayGunter »

In Texas I've done that for years. I'll wear an old shirt for a couple days or till the wife says "Its ripe enough take it off". Then stuff it with stuff to make a dummy. Oh dont forget to put a hat on it.

Set it in yer stand and the deer will not only get used to seeing you in the stand but get used to how you smell also.
Thanks,
Ray
[url=http://www.huntingfootage.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=782]Some short clips from my InfraRed Video Gamecam[/url]
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Man, between rife and bow season I have 15 stands. That is a lot of old camo.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
steve

Post by steve »

interesting idea, but, what do you do with the dummy when you want to sit in the stand :shock:
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Steve,
You have to build a ground blind to put the dummy in. :lol: :lol:
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Ya'll ...

In my case, there's a dummy in the stand whether it's really me or a fake! I've heard of that and I do not doubt for a second that it would work, but there's something else to think about here where I live. We have so many black bear that I think it inadvisable to leave any human-formed dummy in clothes standing or sitting around. It would almost certainly get torn up by a bear here, and I don't think that's a good idea at all. I won't be putting up any Grizz dummies for the black bears to destroy ... they might become even less respectful than they sometimes are!

Grizz the Bear Respecter

(You would too, if you lived here ... saw a mama with three cubs about 100 yards from my back door yesterday, and a nice young boar in the same place tonight ... see bear most every day.)
Grizz