String noise, too loud

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Outdoorguy

String noise, too loud

Post by Outdoorguy »

Hey everyone, just purchased a new Phoenix as recommended by a local dealer. Wow love the bow, much better than my old Horton.

Anyway wanted to ask what is the best way to cut down the string and limb noise?

I installed the Limb saver silencers on the limbs only and didn't notice a significant difference. Next stop is a string silencer, and recomendations? Is it worth the loss in speed?

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if the limb savers didnt work then take them off cause it probably slowed you 8-10fps...

everyones gonna say wear ear plugs 8)
wabi

Post by wabi »

everyones gonna say wear ear plugs
Take the limb savers off and buy a good pair of earplugs! :wink:
Seriously, the noise can't be reduced enough to make a difference, so don't worry about it. I think if you can find someone else to shoot the bow for you and you stand back and listen you'll find it is much less than you think anyway. The stock seems to amplify the noise for the person shooting the bow. If you have a fastflight string you might want to change to a dacron string. This will have as much noise reducing effect as string silencers, but it will cost some speed. (string silencers cost speed, too)
And the advice of wait a year is right-on! I've been shooting Excaliburs for several years, and I don't even notice it anymore. Matter of fact I took the DB's off my Phoenix so I wouldn't have to worry about taking the pads off when I unstring.
Just keep hunting shots close, and the deer won't notice either. I have a personal limit of 30 yards for deer, and with the Phoenix at close to 300 fps they don't move until the arrow is through them.
wabi
htoler

Post by htoler »

crossbows are noisy by nature shoot the heck out of it you will get used to the noise
ExCalibur ExoCet 200
Tenpoint ProElite
Outdoorguy

Post by Outdoorguy »

Thanks guys, I guess I don't have to worry about it.

I can't believe the accuracy of the Phoenix, fourth time out shooting the bow and I split an arrow. I'm shooting tighter goups than some of the rifle hunters I hunt with in moose season.

Thanks Excalibur

Thanks or the reply's guys!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Outdoorguy wrote:Thanks guys, I guess I don't have to worry about it.

I can't believe the accuracy of the Phoenix, fourth time out shooting the bow and I split an arrow. I'm shooting tighter goups than some of the rifle hunters I hunt with in moose season.

Thanks Excalibur

Thanks or the reply's guys!
everyone will also say, dont shoot at the same spot twice with these bows :lol: hahahahha
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Crossbows might be noisy, but not as much as either my .270 or .308. To date I never had a critter complain about the noise of any of them. :wink:

In my opinion, all these sound reducing gadgets only serve to put more money in the manufacturers pockets, not more game into the pot.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.