DRYFIRES REALLY STING!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

DRYFIRES REALLY STING!!!

Post by ecoaster »

Chris and I headed out today for some scouting and target shooting. We were going shot for shot, trying to robin hood each others bolts and in a second of abscent mindedness, I forgot to load a bolt. I had one in hand to load and noticed chris was out so I said "here fire this one, I got one left over here." I never grabbed the other bolt. When I sqeezed the trigger I thought my bow had blown apart. Scared that crap out of me. The string came off and either it or the limb cracked my left hand really good.

After the pain stopped, I checked the limbs all over. They looked fine so I restrung and very cautiously fired another bolt. Everything seems to still be dead on.

I will be double and tripple checking from now on. Not something I ever want to repeat. I can't stress enough to all of you to do the same.

And Bill T, this is one hell of a tough bow :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Just glad you are alright! Things happen in a hurry.

It was incredible to witness not only the dry fire, but the maintained accuracy once the bow was restrung.

And like I said, "Better now than with a deer in your sights!!"
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I've already done it twice shooting 3D, some times when you get to carried away that's when accident's happen, luckly only had a small chip happen on the first one, , on the second one got so pissed off for letting it happen again that i ended up letting my frustration on the string, the string came off the tip but was jammed on the limbs so i ended up cutting it off right away, needed a new string anyways :lol:
It's scary when it happens, "Did i brake it this time, safe once again" :lol:
Don

Post by Don »

I once Dry fired my bow twice at a winter shot at the Wolf's Den, and the bow still shot bang on. I do not recommend giving this a try however as Excalibur Bows are nasty tough but there is always that one in a million that the thing will explode a limb.
The first time I ever dry fired my bow the string came off and slapped the back of my hand much the same as yours did here and left a nasty nasty welt on the back of my hand. The Wolf's Den seems to be my bigest problem however as I have dry fired there four times in the three times I have shot there. BEWARE THE WOLF, LOL :lol:

Cheers,
Don :lol: :D
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

My 2 dryfires also happened at the Wolf's Den :evil: :lol:
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) After having my share of dryfires, (Something that might help).
Using a label maker I posted me a note below the varizone.
(CHECK BOLT)
You want to make sure it is all the way back anyway.
Hope this helps.
GOOD HUNTING.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Over my years of Excalibur ownership I've had a grand total of 3 dry-fires. All happened because I cocked the bow and didn't immediately load an arrow. Twice when I was shooting with someone else and I cocked it while they were shooting, but didn't intent to load until I was ready to fire. The other when I changed my mind on a shot an unloaded the arrow, but didn't un-cock the bow. I have learned to cock & load every time! If I'm not ready to shoot, I don't cock it - and if I change my mind I either leave the arrow loaded or fire it into the ground to unload.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

bstout wrote:I think I'm at about three dry fires myself after three years. Its going to happen. I've been lucky (got a set of limbs made on a Wednesday) so far.

It's all part of shooting a crossbow. There's an entirely new set of hazards a person must look out for.

This includes all of the longtime seasoned archers. No one is exempt!
Reckon I will keep knocking on wood, rubbing a lucky charm from LoneWolf as todate no DRYFIRES .... :D I cock the xbow and load up a bolt .... :twisted: :wink: However bstouts statement I marked in bold is correct, the time MIGHT just happen .... :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

none here also... hopefully I dont ever have one lol
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Wabi,

Great advice. That`s exactly what happened. I had cocked the bow a few minutes prior to shooting.
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

How does the bow know if there is a bolt in it or not?

I've never dry fired my Exocet, and never will based on what I've read in the manual.

My father in law dry fires his Wolverine all the time instead of de-cocking it... I should have a few good reasons to tell why not for this season..

Thanks.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It doesn't know, however you will, as soon as you pull the trigger. Like I said, I thouhgt the bow had explodede in my hands. It blew the string clear off and gave me some nice blood blisters on my hand to remember it.

The bow is designed to launch the bolt (which has wieght) at a very high rate of speed. Thats why Excalibur recomends a minimum arrow weight to use off the bow.

I don't know of any bow manufacturer that would say it's okay to dry fire a bow to uncock it. You should tell your dad to shoot an old bolt into the ground if he can't uncock it by hand. I'm surprised he hasen't dammaged the bow yet.