Middleton Crossbows Have A New Stock Design

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Middleton Crossbows Have A New Stock Design

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Ya'll ...

Just thought you might be interested to know that Derrick Middleton has changed the stock design on his crossbows to a high-combed thumbhole design ... so that's two things that are different from Excaliburs now ... the limbs and the stock.

http://middletoncrossbow.com/01_335.html

Not an improvement to my eyes! Thumbhole stocks aren't my thing ... especially in a material so thin.

Don't really like the look of those skinny limbs either, for that matter. Can't say how they perform, though.

I like my Exomax ... I know that.

Grizz
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I held the ones with the thumb hole stock and it seemed like it wouldn't take much to snap it off. They were extremely light though. I'm not too keen on a thumb hole stock either. Just my preference.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Looks stupid.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not critizing the design, just saying thumbhole stocks don't fit my style. I have never liked thumbhole stocks - be it crossbow or gun. I like to settle my hand into shooting position, then reach up with my thumb & flip off the safety. With most thumbhole designs I've tried this is very difficult to impossible for me. It could be simply a matter of hand size, joint flexibility, and dexterity, but I'll stick with conventional stock design.
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

When I look at this model of crossbow it does not catch my eye at all. Now the forearm now looks huge on it and I now wonder about the balance with the bow. I know that the material which this type of stocks are made from (do not know about this paticular stock) are quite strong, but having a stock whith such a large thumb hole, it might look good to some, I think that the durability of the stock might be in question. Time will tell how the crossbow will stand up, but I sill stick with my Excalibur because of over 24 years and still ticking with my bow, that says it all.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
exocet

Post by exocet »

I can`t stand thumbhole stocks!! Jack.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I rather like a thumb hole stock aqnd I use them, but the Middleton stock lookslike it will break with rough use.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Digger, if I had a stock that looked like that, I wouldn't mind a thumbhole stock...very nice :shock:

Dave
Swede

Post by Swede »

Digger......I just love your stocks. Would love to own a stock like that.

The thumb hole stock might be ugly by some people but that is a matter of taste. But my opinion about shooting and thumb hole stocks does not have much to do with looks. If you look at any sport shooting rifle you will see that the grip is like pistol grip. The same if you look at hunting rifles that is "proffesionaly" made by a gunsmith to shoot low shots. But if you want a good "bird" shootgun which you shoot "high" shots with you will prefer more straight stock than the "sport" rifle or a hunting rifle for low shots. I would think most crossbow shooters shoot rather straight or atleast not up in the sky and then I think a pistol grip(thumb hole) would be prefered. But off course everybody should use what feels best for him or her. But dont reject the thumb hole or any other unconventional stock. I needed to take away lots of material on the Excalibur stock to fit my shooting.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thumb hole stocks have their time and place. You will find that some shooters that have a small hand will have a difficult time getting comfortable when shooting with a regular stock. Their wrists will get twisted into alkward positions, with the thumb hole, they can become comfortable with just putting their thumbs through the hole instead of around it. But the thumb hole design, does make the stock weaker, it is a trade off, if ou can live with it.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Confessions of a M owner: My M xbow has supple limbs, so smooth to the touch, the curves so pleasing to the eyes, and such a delight to hold sooo close to the body while caressing slowly the trigger untill she fires. Dead on accuracy :shock: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

GaryL wrote:Confessions of a M owner: My M xbow has supple limbs, so smooth to the touch, the curves so pleasing to the eyes, and such a delight to hold sooo close to the body while caressing slowly the trigger untill she fires. Dead on accuracy :shock: :twisted:
Gary, don't tell me you got one, I won't surprised. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Image Image maybe :!: :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TYE

Post by TYE »

Digger wrote:the Middleton stock lookslike it will break with rough use.
Same thing I was thinking.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Digger, even though I don`t care for thumbhole stocks, I do like fine wood :D Nice stuff!! Jack.