GoldTip went south it seems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

GoldTip went south it seems

Post by wabi »

Been a lot of discussion about GoldTip's quality issues (weight variations, shaft sizes mixed, insert weight variation, etc,) in the past year or so, and now a rumor they (GoldTip) are moving to mexico. I picked up this information on another forum, so it may or may not be true, but if it is it might explain the quality issues.
Old news... Gold Tip moved the rolling operation to it's Mexico plant last year. Their production cannot keep up with the demand.. I talked to Tim Gillingham last week and they are shipping 18,000 arrows a week... but that isn't keeping up with demand...

They are running 24/7 right now and hope to catch up by mid to late October... There are still many suppliers with Gold Tip arrows in stock, although some of the more well known are out of certain shafts...
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

usually quailty suks when anyone rushes them out. I'd tell people to wait and you will get them when u get them. Anyone woud wait for a product thats gonna be good and top of the line.

its hard to see what will happen now.. i glad I got some when i did then
Rich

Post by Rich »

I just picked up anothe 1/2 dozen at Bass Pro, I weighed them before buying them and all were within 1 grain of each other (269/270 grain). Don't know if they were the new or old ones, however the last 1/2 dozen I bought 4 months ago had up to a 12 grain variance. I hate to see jobs go south, but we must realize if quality sucks and big business can get better quality at cheaper labor rates they are gonna do it. I say let Grey Wolf make everyones arrows, I hear they are the ticket.

Rich
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I prefer building my own arrows rather than having someone else build them for me. That way they are made the way I want them, and I'm sure alot of us feel the same way. Not to mention the money you save while doing so.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

I had issues with Gold Tips and they did make it right. I like making my own so I control the process. I have very good quality control. I know that when I had the issue with the wrong shafts they were expanding their operations. This will cause some training issues but if they had labor troubles then you have to go were you can get the job done correctly.

Kevin
Rich

Post by Rich »

Lone Wolf,

Where do you buy your raw shafts from, which brand do you use.

Thanks Rich
exocet

Post by exocet »

I am not suprised, another company bailing for Mexico or China instead of expanding their operations where they are at :( I just got my Exocet and Right Stuff pack, I hope they are good, or I will turn to Beamon or Easton. Is Beemon and Easton made in the US or Canada? Thanks-Jack.
terry-1

goldtips

Post by terry-1 »

I went to beman thunder bolts two years back from goldtip laser II's. The reason being I had two gold tips break in half at the same point on the shaft during the fireing process. Both times it blew the string off my Exocet and both times I know the bolt was setted perfect and everything was as it should be. It was no doubt a problem with the shafts from when they were made. It was pretty scary when it happened so I deside to take no more chances and went to bemans. It may have just been a bad batch of bolts I know that can happen to any company, but when it happens to you first hand it's time to switch brands. It has never happened with the bemans as of yet.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Terry,
Curiosity has the best of me now - where did they break?
Reason I ask, I bought my first GoldTips a couple of years ago and I had one break right in front of the fletching as I was carrying it in my hip quiver. Didn't hit it on anything, but it might have snagged on some light brush. I thought it was odd, because an arrow snagged on something normally just pulls out of the rubber "ears" that holds it. I didn't have any problems shooting the rest, but I did switch back to aluminums this year.
wabi
terry-1

tips

Post by terry-1 »

Wabi, Both of mine broke in that same spot as yours about 2 years back right in front of the fletch.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Makes you wonder if there might have been some sort of defect if they all broke at the same place. I'm thinking I might have made a good decision when I switched back to aluminum shafts for this year's hunting season.
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
2213's with feather fletching is very close to minimum weight. The 2213's tend to be a lot weaker than 2216's as far as damage (bending) though. I made up a batch of 2215's with Blazer vanes and was able to get the weight I wanted. Ended up close to my target weight of 280 grains (without point) with a 2 grains variation. Bare shafts weighed 277 - 279 grains.
wabi
hawg hunter

gold tip

Post by hawg hunter »

you say that the quality will go upwhen they go south then your in for rude.awakening . . look at gen motors and dodge. if abusiness goes south then the quality goes down.they went there for .no unions, noepa, no pensions, and low wages.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I switched to Blazer vanes not only for their accuracy, but their lack of weight. They weigh about 5 grains each. Still heavier than feathers, but less than half of many vanes.
wabi