O/T Vert Bows for Beginners

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

O/T Vert Bows for Beginners

Post by ecoaster »

I've been considering getting a vertical bow. You can never have enough toys. Don't worry, the Exocet I will be giving to my grandchild :wink: , but I thought I'd like to get a vertical for target shooting and stalking in the thick stuff.

Anyone have any comments about the less expensive PSE bows? I have seen a few used ones going for $200-$300 for a complete setup and case. I'm looking for something in the 50-60lb range. I don't want to spend more than $300 to get started.

Input on other brands would be appreciated too.

Thanks guys.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

Another way to get very biased responses, but, I guess everyone has an opinion. I will vote for Team Hoyt. I used to own a Hoyt MT Sport that was a very flat, quick shooting bow. I sold it to get my Excal. Within the past month, my friends and family have purchased some bows, a Mathews XT, a Hoyt Trykon, and a Ross CR337. The Mathews and Hoyt companies have been around for quiet a while but the Ross is a relatively new company that jumped on the band wagon of parallel limb design and solo cams. My vote is for the Mathews or the Hoyt on these two bows. All three bows are in the $650-$700 range though, so they are really not what you are looking for. I am just unsure on the Ross since they are brand new and don't really have a reputation for longevity yet. If I were you, I would search eBay for some used bows and read some reviews.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Do you want a "real" bow, or one of those confound contraptions with training wheels? :wink: :lol: :lol:
PSE makes recurves, too!
I've owned a couple PSE compounds, and they were decent quality. Had a limb split on one, and the dealer replaced the limbs, no questions asked. For a bow for stalking in the thick stuff it's hard to beat a recurve or longbow shot "instinctively". No need to know exact yardage, no sights to line up, and they are light weight & quiet. The only drawback is that it takes some time & practice to become proficient. If you want a good recurve or longbow at a very reasonable price take a look at CheckMate.
wabi
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I've also been looking to buy a compound bow, and see some nice deals on ebay, check it out.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I've used a compound a few times, and it can be a very good choice for a bowhunter. It offers many advantages over the stickbow as it can be easy to hold at full draw, can be equipped with good sights and a good rest which can be tuned for best performance, and is fairly easy to learn to shoot accurately.
My biggest problem with a compound is it's physical weight. After shooting a stickbow for decades the compound feels heavy to me. My recurves and longbows weigh around a pound and a compound commonly weighs four or five pounds with all the accessories installed. I could shoot it about as well as my crossbow at similar ranges, but I just couldn't get used to all that weight. I was developing some bad habits like dropping my bow arm on release. Not a huge problem because I have been shooting long enough to recognize the fault and remind myself to correct it, but one that cropped up almost every time I practiced very long. I decided that I could handle all the hunting situations I face with the stickbow or crossbow, so there was no real need for a compound for me.
I've grown a nice little cluster of "spurs" in my left shoulder, and they can be a real problem with a vert bow The spurs aren't bone to bone, they are digging into the group of tendons and nerves that are on top of the shoulder when I raise my arm horizontally. When they dig in the "parts" swell and it gets worse if I continue. If I add the weight of a bow pulling back on the joint and compressing everything it just makes it worse. But I've dropped draw weight and can still shoot my stickbows if I limit my shooting. That creates a problem with keeping up hunting accuracy, because the old "practice-practice-and more practice" is the secret to shooting well. I still hunt with my stickbows, but I find myself using the crossbow for most hunting these days. The crossbow or compound will never come close to matching the stickbow's versatility when shot "instinctively" for getting off fast shots at stationary or even moving game, but the stickbow shot "instinctively" will never match the crossbow or compound for consistent accuracy at known ranges with plenty of time to make the shot. (At least for me these statements hold true.) So today I find myself more commonly sitting in a ground blind or perched in a tree stand waiting for the game to come to me. If I do decide to still hunt the stickbow is the best choice for me. A quick shot at an unspecified distance is much easier when I can just look at the target draw the bow and know from experience if I can make the shot or not, and I can usually judge the odds of making the shot instantly.
Not bragging, it took many years to program the "computer" (brain) to make it all work, and any good "instinctive" shooter can do the same thing. Most good instinctive shooters have been at it for a few years to get good. I still don't have it "perfected", but I've only been flinging arrows for 45 or 50 years now. I figure with a little more practice I can correct a couple problems with my shooting form and I'll be a lot better shot! :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Ecoaster ...

I'm not much for offering unsolicited advice ... but you did ask!

PSE makes very good bows. Pete Shepley and his boys know what they're doing. My brother and I both have extensive experience with Precision Shooting Equipment bows, and no complaints whatsoever. It is my educated opinion that PSE's entry level bows are some of the best for the money.

I wanted to clue you in on an excellent online company to buy from. These guys really have their act together, and can ship you one all accessories, tuned by a pro, and ready to shoot groups with a hard case for a very reasonable price. I'd seriously consider checking them out if I were you:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm

Best of luck.

Grizz
Grizz
marmot

Post by marmot »

What is your draw length?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

marmot,

My draw length is 28".
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

bstout,

There is a local archery club that I am joining and the owner has a little pro-shop and tweaks all bows for the members. The guy knows his stuff. Good advice, thanks.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I have to agree with bstout. About a year ago purchased my compound from the Bowshop in Waterloo and they were great. Held and shot many different bows with no pressure. You have to pick a bow that feels comfortable for you.

You can't beat purchasing from a quality shop. Set up initially can be a challenge. When I did purchase, the shop set my sight, arrow rest and draw length. When I left the shop, I was ready to start practicing.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
chris4570

Re: O/T Vert Bows for Beginners

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote:. Don't worry, the Exocet I will be giving to my grandchild :wink: ,
Are some congrats in order?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Chris,

No kiddies yet :lol: