Commercial Ground Blind Reviews Wanted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Commercial Ground Blind Reviews Wanted

Post by John Wade »

I'm going to buy and want some feed back from "been there done that".

John "Fell out of the stand one time too many" Wade
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

What are you going to be shooting out of it? Crossbow, gun, vertical bow? You need something with enough room to take the shot.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
John Wade

Blind - cont.

Post by John Wade »

Crossbow
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
SOUP

GROUND BLIND REVIEWS

Post by SOUP »

DEAR JOHN ,
I actually got one of those letters in Viet Nam 37 years ago !!
Ground blinds are something I would like to hear about too . I just tonight set up an Ameristep STACKHOUSE blind for the first time in my back yard. This will eventually be for crossbow hunting in a farm area in Salem New Jersey. I have NOT tried to put it back in the carry pack YET ! My wife helped me set it up in the yard & I could NOT have done it in the dark by myself at this point.
It looks pretty good & was not really bad to set up,with help- but it's high, which is good if you need to stretch - but bad because it may stand out too much on the edge of this field unless I can get it near some high weeds.
I'd like to hear from the DOUBLE BULL owners -that may be the way to go. a lot more expensive but if you can get it in -set up & take it down 1-2-3 it may be worth it.
SOUP
" YOUTH IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG "
Bobber54

Ground Blinds

Post by Bobber54 »

I've hunted out of portable ground blinds since 99. The selection then was pretty slim. I've shot many deer out of a portable blind since, including a 19 point Whitetail, that scored 195 4/8 net. That was with a vertical bow. The only blind not suitable for hunting is the Ameristep outhouse. I have now narrowed my blinds to two. One is the Ameristep doghouse with a floor for winter use and the Double Bull T2. I converted a golf cart to carry my blinds in and out. I attached a bucket and added large bike wheels. I can setup both in under a minute. Many prefer to set them out and let the deer become accustomed. I don't do this. I hunt fresh sign and shove the blind into brush or under low brances. I think leaving it out for deer to check doesn't work and is too easy to over hunt a spot. Be sure to wear solid black inside and find two comfortable chairs with a back. One for your blind setup and the other for practice sitting down.
If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer. I hunt whitetail only, in a cedar swamp.
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

i agree...the outhouse is no good for the x-bow...the limbs barely fit inside with it cocked and if you release a bolt the limbs will take the thing for a ride!!!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Yep I had the Outhouse before sold it and now have a Doghouse............it is awesome!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I'm also in the doghouse :lol: i meant i also own a doghouse, :D and have nothing bad to say about it. Easy and fast to put up and take down, more than enough room for an x-bow.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Doghouse is my choice too !
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use the Doghouse blind. It works fine with the crossbow.
wabi
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Another one to consider is the Wig-Wam.

It is just a touch smaller but also alot cheaper than the Ameristep.

I like mine & it is an older one without the shoot through mesh, but has the shadowguard.

Have spent lots of hours in it when I would not have lasted in a treestand due to the weather.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I use the Doghouse and find that there is enough room for what I need .. It's a little tight with two people, but still can be done...............

Good Luck to you..
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
A.W

Re: GROUND BLIND REVIEWS

Post by A.W »

SOUP wrote:I have NOT tried to put it back in the carry pack YET
Here's a link to my first experience with a pop=up blind.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ight=blind
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
grappledad

Post by grappledad »

I tried them and like them alot until I wanted to move. Here's a shot of my ground blind and a bird I harvseted at about 15 yards. I was hunt in a clear cut power line with no cover at all and he never had a clue.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I've tried several and the Double Bull is the one I'm sticking with. The pattern, the material and the lifetime warranty are the main reasons. They're tough, the pattern doesn't fade and they're quiet. I left them up most all deer season last year, most all turkey season and they are still as good as new. I've had storms blow them away and no damage. Had one blown into a beaver pond all night. Nothing. I have 4 of them now. I've tried the Brickhouse, Cableas blind, and another one I can't remember. I've also seen some others up close and they just don't cut it. I bought 2 this summer for the low $200 range off Ebay when no one was thinking about hunting. One new in box for $204. Sales and deals are about gone now but keep it mind for next year.

There is a guy Hairlessone on Archery Talk that will do you right and good prices. I bought some of mine and 4 others from him for friends. Everyone likes theirs so far an no problems.

One more thing. Get a piece of replacement netting when you get your blind and practice shooting your xbow and broadheads through it. That way you'll have no surprises later on and you won't shoot up your blind testing. Most all Rocket expandables shoot well and most small profile fixed heads do well.