Moon nocks on Excalibur/10Point

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stash

Moon nocks on Excalibur/10Point

Post by Stash »

Can I get someone to post a DEFINITIVE reason why moon nocks are not recommended for flat-back type bows, and also the opposite, why flat backs are not recommended for Horton/Parker/Barnett etc?

I work at an archery dealer and I would like to have a simple, straightforward explanation I can print out and show customers. I am aware of the reasons, but I'm always dealing with customers who have been using the "wrong" type and claim that there's no difference.

Thanks in advance.
Digger

Post by Digger »

the simple reason is Excalibur and Tenpoint grip the string with a claw from top and do not need a 1/2 moon nockbecause the string wont jump over or slide under the bolt causing a partial or full dry fire.
The other xbows grasp the string from the bottom and when fired the 1/2 moon directs the string to the center of the nock, so even if you dont put the bolt in properly the string won't jump up and go over the bolt and cause a dry fire. Hope that helps.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

The moon nock is not needed because, as Digger said, the string is directed down toward the deck by the claws on release. If the moon nock is loaded with the wrong orientation it can cause a dry-fire. There are 3 possible orientations when loading an arrow. One (cock feather down) is correct. The other two possibilities are wrong! That's a 66.67% chance of being wrong if you aren't paying attention!!!!!!!! I don't think most poeple would bet against those odds!
wabi
Stash

Post by Stash »

What I'm trying to determine, is there any real technical reason not to use a moon nock other than the orientation issue? It's not "needed", but is there any reason for it to be less accurate or reliable than a flat back on bows with top-latch triggers?

I've heard from both Excalibur and 10 Point reps who claim it's unsafe to use a moon nock on their bows, and from a Horton rep who said it was unsafe to use a flat back. The Horton rep even went so far as to say you'd be pretty much assured of getting a misfire once in a while if you did. I have a hard time visualizing a crossbow string under that much tension being forced upwards from a bottom-latch trigger. Once the sear is released, the latch is pretty much completely loose and the string should have no trouble pushing it out of the way without being deflected.

Has anyone here ever personally experienced or witnessed a problem with using the "wrong" nock, again, other than the orientation issue, or is it another of those truisms that get passed along without question?
wabi

Post by wabi »

wabi wrote:The moon nock is not needed because, as Digger said, the string is directed down toward the deck by the claws on release. If the moon nock is loaded with the wrong orientation it can cause a dry-fire. There are 3 possible orientations when loading an arrow. One (cock feather down) is correct. The other two possibilities are wrong! That's a 66.67% chance of being wrong if you aren't paying attention!!!!!!!! I don't think most poeple would bet against those odds!
The post refers to moon nocks only. A flat nock makes no difference. I use flat nocks only and don't even fletch with a cock feather for my qrrows - all feathers the same size & color.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

The above posts explain it well. The big and only problem with using a moon nock is the orientation. Moon nocks need to be set so that they line up with the string when the COCK feather/vane is put down in the rail.

Put it in wrong and a dry fire is likly to happen!!!! :oops:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

GaryL wrote:The above posts explain it well. The big and only problem with using a moon nock is the orientation. Moon nocks need to be set so that they line up with the string when the COCK feather/vane is put down in the rail.

Put it in wrong and a dry fire is likly to happen!!!! :oops:
Yup..I agree...I've tried both nocks.....and have seen many shooters using the moon nock....saves your center serving for sure...the only thing is when it come to re-flelch your bolt..no big deal if you have extra moon nocks......thats what i shoot :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Also if the moon nocks is not aligned correctly in the arrow when inserted and and is just wee bit off accuracy will suffer.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
M&M

Post by M&M »

so after reading all this I could shoot a half moon arrow from my exocet as long as I make darn sure that the arrow is aligned correctly. M&M
JR

Post by JR »

I thought it was because Ten Point and Excal crossbow strings rode the rail and that the others, their string rode just a hair off the rail. What do you know, something new, thanks guys.

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]