Tree Stand Safety Harness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eck

Tree Stand Safety Harness

Post by Eck »

I'm looking forward to hunting with my (new to me) Excalibur ExoMag in a few weeks here in Virginia and have dusted off my old treestand. I've never worn a safety harness when hunting out of it before, but think that I might want to start using one.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with a harness that they recommend, or DON'T recommend?

Thanks in advance

Eck
Last edited by Eck on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Re: Safety Harness
Don't buy a harness that riggers use. You need one that uses buckles, so that if you do fall and can't get back into your tree stand, you can undo the buckles and lower yourself down. If you have one of the rigger type harnesses, you cant undo them and if you are alone, you are in trouble after about 20 minutes. Circulation starts to be cut off and pressure on your lungs as well.
Cabelas has one that I bought and it works great. In addition, I use a retractable seat belt type of mechanism. You can buy them at any industrial safety distributor. About $175.00

Good luck,

Bert,
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I use Seat of the Pants Fast Back Safety Harness....and the climbing rope. I'm hooked up from the ground into my stand and all the way back down to the ground.

ALWAYS tie off high enough above your head that you can NOT fall to below the level of your stand.

That way you can get back into the stand with no problems..[/u]
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

For me it depends on which type stand I'm using. For the climber the "seat of the pants" system Woody mentioned is hard to beat. For a chain-on stand I usually tie a climbing rope from the ground to above the stand and use a prussic knot attachment so I'm connected for the trip up & back down. On the ladder stands I just climb carefully and then attach the harness to the tree once up in the stand (as Woody said, attached high enough to prevent falling below the level to get back in easily).
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if I ever get one im gonna get the hunter saftey system since its more like a vest so its easy to put on! Not a bunch of straps you cant figure out where they go :D Its about 120-140bucks

I know I need one but I keep knocking on wood nothing bad will happen.. so far after 10 years and all is well. If I started going up higher than 12-15ft then I would definitly have one
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

crazyfarmer wrote:if I ever get one im gonna get the hunter saftey system since its more like a vest so its easy to put on! Not a bunch of straps you cant figure out where they go :D Its about 120-140bucks

I know I need one but I keep knocking on wood nothing bad will happen.. so far after 10 years and all is well. If I started going up higher than 12-15ft then I would definitly have one
It only takes one fall....

12-15 foot is MORE than enough to kill you or cripple you for life.

Its' not worth the chance..

I had a Hunter Safety System vest, but I found it too heavy and hot. I sold it and bought the SOP Fastback.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Bucktail

Safety Harness

Post by Bucktail »

SOP all the way. I think it's the best out there.

BE SAFE.

Bucktail
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Woody Williams wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:if I ever get one im gonna get the hunter saftey system since its more like a vest so its easy to put on! Not a bunch of straps you cant figure out where they go :D Its about 120-140bucks

It only takes one fall....

12-15 foot is MORE than enough to kill you or cripple you for life.

Its' not worth the chance..

I had a Hunter Safety System vest, but I found it too heavy and hot. I sold it and bought the SOP Fastback.
i know, 5ft could break some bomes.... im asking for one for xmas so hopefully ill be fine untill then. Knock on wood all has been well for 14 years
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

The key to any fall protection system is to were it! Particularly when hanging portable stands. My partner took a short cut to the ground last year & got realy lucky. He was alone and planed to hunt until dark so I wouldn't have gone to find him until about 5 hours after the fall. He limped his way 800 yards out of the bush & through a waist deep creek with an broken arm a bunch of broken ribs & a punctured lung. Spent 3 days in the hospital and missed the rut due to alot of brusing. He spent the rest of the season on the ground becuse he was to sore to climb. Forget about cocking your bow with a bunch of injuries. I'm still sort of dumfounded as to how he servived the fall because he landed in between several stumps & deadfalls. Lucky but stupid.

I use a linemans harness for hanging stands - always have & can depend on it to free my hands while hanging. The belt type system works best for this because it provides a stable and secure platform. As for hunting look for somthing that will prevent a fall not stop one once in progress. This way if you do fall into a sleep you have an easier time geting back into the stand & continue the hunt. Test the system you choose in your back yard or a park at low height so you can develop a plan to get out if you do fall. By doing this you will see that placement of steps is also critical - swing into them after a fall and you will understand why.

Our area is conducive to hunting high - 18 to 20 feet up and the deer generally move through our area right at first light so getting in early is a big benifit. I will often get to a stand an hour before legal shooting light, and have a nap sitting on the platform of the stand. I tie myself in and then adjust re adjust the harness when its time to hunt. I dress in cloths that promote circulation so that my legs don't fall asleap during the nap.

One other piece of advice. If you do shoot a deer be carefull getting down. The first one I arrowed got me so excited I bailed on the dismount. I'm OK when its time to shoot but after the fact I tend to loose it in the excitement, I've droped bows, quivers, calls, antlers and my pack from the tree becuse my hands just seem to shake alot after the shot.

Got to love it!!
Eck

Post by Eck »

Thanks All-
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I'm on my fourth year of the Hunter Safety System.It has the harness built into the vest.It's fantastic;even used the drag strap one year to pull a small buck up a hill.Got my whole bad back into that one,thought of the drag everytime I ate some of that deer!! :evil:
deerman

Post by deerman »

Anyone that hunts with me on my property must wear a safety harness or you dont hunt. I had a friend in a wheelchair and trust me its no fun.Wear one!!!!!
Flintlockr

Safety harness

Post by Flintlockr »

I'm looking at getting one of the Loggy Bayou Transformer Safety Systems with the harness for my binoculars! Has anybody had experience with them?
http://www.treestand.com/Merchant2/merc ... ode=LB3030

Flintlock'r

".50cal patched round ball & 100 gr 2FG"
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I just ordered the Fall Guy System from Bass Pro ($79.00 USD)

Going to be about $125 CDN by the time I get it but I feel that it is a good system & like the idea of being attached all the way up & down without playing around with that linesmans belt that I have been using with my Gorilla harness.

Unfortunately I could not find it here in Canada so I bit the bullet.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Country

Post by Country »

I haven't been able to find a commercial brand of safety harness that will fit me. Im not all that big but in the winter with quilted goose down long johns, wool clothing, and a huge polar parka (does the Pillsbury dough boy or the Michelen man ring a bell) I can't find anything to work. To make matters worse, I nap like the rest of us. Im an accident waiting to happen.
By the way, a hunter was found dead in my hunting area last year. He had fallen out of his tree stand with one of those belts on. It had slipped up to his chest and cut off his breathing.