O/T Computer Trouble

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

O/T Computer Trouble

Post by Farmer »

I need some major help. My computer has been taken over by some nasty internet spam site/s. I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser but the garbage pops up on the Internet explorer browser ( which we seldom use )

. My anti virus sees it but does not delete it. I have no idea where it came from or how to get rid of this trash. It has come up when my young spam age kids have used the computer. They do not need to see such trash.

I am not to knowledgable with computers any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am afraid of using my email as well at this time as my computer my infect some one else with this trash.
leonk

Post by leonk »

what antivirus do you use? does it get updates automatically?

U need 3 types of protection - AV, spyware and firewall.
I know Rogers offers a lot of free stuff for their customers, don't know who's your provider is...

Now. Get yourself a spyware. one of the 2 is OK:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

Make sure you have updated AV and firewall.

This one is free, next time you'll have to take me hunting :-)

If you have questions send me PM
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's a free firewall that I've been using for years.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/c ... CA&lang=en
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for the tips guys, I do not know how we picked up this filth. i would like to show them my Exocet.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I feel your pain!

I have three kids that pound away on the keyboard regularly and play games online. Every year I used to have to rebuild my system at least 3 times.

My solution was to use Norton Ghost, which takes a complete image of your computer. When your system is corrupted, you can load the image back onto your computer. Send me a PM is you want more info.

Depending on your operating system, you may also be able to "restore" your system to a previous date (before it was corrupted). I have Windows XP Home and can access "Restore" by going to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

Good luck,

Mountain Man
TYE

Post by TYE »

I use Ad-Aware SE Personal, and it fixes all of my spyware and trojan problem-o's.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I use a Mac computer ... good as virus-proof, and in five years it has NEVER frozen the screen, locked up, or crashed ... and no viruses, trojan horse attacks, or anything of the sort.

Depend on a computer for my livelihood, so I love my Apple.

Grizz
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

I run Ad-Aware SE Personal when I need to remove spyware and malware on a windows machine.... I'm completely switched over to Linux now though... good-bye and good riddance to windows.... :D
BUCKSHOT

Try This

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Complicators ya' gotta love em'! Try this!

I know you can't do that but the thought is there, I am sure! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have not solved the problem yet , Thank You for all the info. I hope that I have not infected any one else with this filth.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Farmer, are you using XP operating sysytem? If so just go to your "software repair wizard" on your desk top and "Restore your computer to an earlier time". In other words you can go back a few days (xp backs up your computer automatically at least once a month) or even a month before you got infected and everything will be restored exactly like it was on that particular date. All you have to know is about when you got infected and choose any date prior to that. Xp will list the dates it has backed up for you, just choose one.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for all the help. We are trying the system restore, with luck, it will work.