dressing deer in the field

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

dressing deer in the field

Post by mdcrossbow »

My question to you all.

Do you dig a hole , carry deer away to dress or just dress them out where they fall?

For me it depends on where I am hunting. Who's property I am on. I prefer to remove the deer from the area I am hunting 50-60 yards and dress. Some folk want deer remains taken away. If I know that their are alot of foxes in the area I just leave it, usualy gone by morning.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Our coyotes are just as thick. I don't feed them beggers any more than I have to. I now shoot my deer, drag or haul it back to camp, Skin it out, then dress it right into a plastic gabage bag. On the way back home I find the fist approach, and dump the guts right by the highway. This does two things.

1. Usually only birds feed on it, like magpies, ravens, etc., and not coyotes on my land.

2. For people driving down the highway, " Holy Sh...t, right off the highway !!!!!! " :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grey Owl
exocet

Post by exocet »

I drag my deer out. depending on where I am hunting, I either take it to a butcher or my friends help me cut it up as I am not good at that :( Jack.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if its a prime hunting spot then I take my deer out and dress is somewher else. I dont like funking up my hunting spots. This is still hunting now. If im hunting with the local club and dogs, then I dress the deer right there usually since im not in my hot areas LOL

either way, foxes and etc usually wipe the remains away overnight
M&M

Post by M&M »

I usually dress my deer close to where it dropped and the next day the gut pile is always gone, I guess the other critters need to eat too. M&M
Normous

Post by Normous »

Every gut pile that I ever made always got eaten by some hungry critter overnight...nothing goes to waste.
Last edited by Normous on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I dress my deer where it lies. Unless it's in mud or water then i will move it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
TYE

Post by TYE »

I gut them where they drop, or if they drop in thick stuff then I drag them out of it then gut them.

Usually something eats the gut pile over night.

I also find that if you go back and hunt the same spot where the guts and blood were left. That deers "buddies" come back trying to find it.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I dress the deer on the farm that we hunt then take the gut pile away in large plastic bags so as to not attrack coyotes.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I field dress em where they fall. Notin left the next day xcept the Stomach.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

yup the gut piles dissapear quickly around here to.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Oops!! I dodn`t know Dressing meant gutting the deer out.I thought you guys meant cutting up in peices :lol: I do it(gutting) where I shot it. Jack.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

exocet wrote:Oops!! I dodn`t know Dressing meant gutting the deer out.I thought you guys meant cutting up in peices :lol: I do it(gutting) where I shot it. Jack.
we have our own slaughtering business so i have access to every tool needed to process a deer :lol:

I believe this year we are gonna process deer for hunters for the hungry..

back on topic, sure the gut pile is usually gone but the smell from the gut sack and etc stays for awhile. It will attract some deer, but most stay well clear of that smell
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Gut them were they drop.................all gone by morning and have dropped other deer in same location with no problems!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Right where they drop. I have seen deer pass by a gut pile and pay it no mind. Happiness is a large gutpile. :)