Transporting a crossbow - NOT hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stash

Transporting a crossbow - NOT hunting

Post by Stash »

In Ontario, does anyone know for a fact what the law requires regarding encasing a crossbow (or a regular bow, for that matter) when in the car?

Not the hunting regulations for taking it hunting, but for general transportation, like home from the store or to the range.
the elf

Post by the elf »

In Ontario----------a crossbow must be encased -----BETWEEN 1/2 HOUR AFTER SUNSET-----AND 1/2 HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE.-------.Not sure during daylight hours --------but I would imagine common sense would play a good part in it.-------ELF.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I would think that if it's not hunting season and your transporting it in the car(trunk) then no. Under the Crimunal Code of Canada it's neither a restricted or unrestricted weapon.

However!!! There are a lot of rookie police officers out there that may give you a hard time due to their lack of knowledge. I think an old blanket or whatever would do the trick and protect the bow from scrapes.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I don't know about Canada but the police around here would say you are carrying a concealed weapon if it is under a blanket. If it is concealed than you are in trouble. :roll:
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
A.W

Post by A.W »

LV2HNT wrote:I don't know about Canada but the police around here would say you are carrying a concealed weapon if it is under a blanket. If it is concealed than you are in trouble. :roll:
Not carrying the bow. Transporting.

LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Sory A.W, Transporting and carrying are about the same thing as far as the law goes. Either way they have to be open and obvious here. I could see an officer making a stink if it was under a blaket but cases are ok even though you can't actualy see the weapon.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
BOB VANDRISH

Transporting a Crossbow.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I went and registered mine at Canada Customs,similar to the old way of registering guns to take across the border,and they told me I should have had it encased for purposes of transporting in public.
Page 21 of the 2006 Hunting Regs for Ontario states that all firearms,including crossbow,must be unloaded and encased one half hour after sunset,to one half hour before sunrise.
It preempts that by saying "If you are in an area normally inhabited by wildlife".
It goes on to say that firearms must be securely encased in a manner where they are not readily accessible.
Since it really does not address transporting them during daylight hours,I will call the Ministry to clarify this point.
Bob Vandrish.
BOB VANDRISH

Transporting a Crossbow.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

The MNR states that a crossbow MUST be encased in some form of storage container,whether it is a soft or hard case,for purposes of transportation during all hours when it is not being used in the field to hunt.
They did agree that the language on Page 21 of the 2006 regs is a bit ambiguous,but insist that what I have said above applies.
Hope that helps guys!
Bob Vandrish.
chessy

Post by chessy »

here is another twist

i was told by my co that it has to be incased half hour befor sunrise and half hour after sunset . but this does not appy if you are not in a game inhabited area... ie town ??? i thought this was strange ... but that is his enterprataion of the law.... and that is scary part of the whole game laws it is all up to the offercers interpration
A.W

Post by A.W »

That's the way I see/read it Chessy.

splittoe

Post by splittoe »

i can see what your talking about A.W. in ref. to a new officer acting that way....most of the officers that have been on the road for a while will see that at least the person is attempting to stay legal by rapping the xbow in a blanket...not just putting a blanket over it.

of course to me a crossbow is a little diff. than say a pistol in ref. to having it in a safe carry mode..ie bullets in one place and gun in another, one of which is under lock and key. as long as you are making an attempt to do the right thing the law should be ok with it Stash.

(as a cop i would be more interested in your name though "stash" :D :lol: :lol:
just joking :D

just my oppenion. :D

tom/tn
what you do for and too others will come back 10 fold.
bj

Post by bj »

in ontario, anyhow...it's simple ...if you're not using it as a hunting tool, it never has to be encased...there are no "federal regulations" governing the storage, carry or control of a crossbow or any bow for that matter...the only time you really need to pay attention is during the open hunting season, when you are "actively" pursuing game...this of course is covered under provincial law...

Wayne...........
bj

Re: Transporting a Crossbow.

Post by bj »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:The MNR states that a crossbow MUST be encased in some form of storage container,whether it is a soft or hard case,for purposes of transportation during all hours when it is not being used in the field to hunt.
They did agree that the language on Page 21 of the 2006 regs is a bit ambiguous,but insist that what I have said above applies.
Hope that helps guys!
you're right this is ambiguous, as usual...

"The MNR states that a crossbow MUST be encased in some form of storage container,whether it is a soft or hard case,for purposes of transportation during all hours when it is not being used in the field to hunt."

- here it is plain and simple again...if you're not using it for hunting then they basically have "no say" as to how it is transported...again this is covered under federal law...

Wayne.......
bj

Re: Transporting a Crossbow.

Post by bj »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:The MNR states that a crossbow MUST be encased in some form of storage container,whether it is a soft or hard case,for purposes of transportation during all hours when it is not being used in the field to hunt.
Hope that helps guys!
Bob, where are you seeing this in writing of the regs...i can't find the exact phrasing as you mention above on page 21 of the quide...i can only find this...

"Check local sunrise-sunset times. You may only hunt from
a half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset,
except as otherwise provided. If you are in an area usually
inhabited by wildlife, during the period from a half hour
after sunset to a half hour before sunrise, you must unload
and encase firearms (including air gun, pellet gun, bow or
crossbow) in your possession. Firearms must be securely
encased in a manner whereby they are not readily accessible."
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

I do not believe that they have to be encase for transportation. The correct rule is that they have to be unloaded.
Many have open racks on their ATV's, casing does not make sense. During small game season you can always drive the bush roads with your gun on the seat beside you.

The MNR statement w.r.t daytime transportation is incorrect, your bow or firearm does not have to be encased.