NAP Spitfires - bought a pack today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

NAP Spitfires - bought a pack today

Post by wabi »

Finally broke down and bought a pack today. I've heard a lot of praise on them here on the forum, so I decided to give them a try. Got a pack of 3 100 grain heads and will probably give them a try on a foam deer this weekend. Raining today, so I decided to wait until it stops to try them out. :wink: I'll probably test one head then use those blades to test the others. I see in the instructions you are supposed to replace the retainer clips after 5 shots. Do the replacement blades include new retainer clips?
wabi
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

Im not sure about the retainer clips, but i would think that you could also buy them separatly. You will not be dissapointed with the performance of these broadheads!!! I know it! :D
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Wabi,

The blade replacement kit comes complete with enough blades, screws, retainers and a screw driver to re-do 3 heads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks!
Looks like I'd probably go ahead and order a pack of replacement blades if they seem to shoot well with my setup. Image
wabi
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

And remember they close upon exit, so that does not mean that they did not open. The instructions that came with them should tell you how to test it so YOU know that they have come completely open.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Congratulations. You will be pleased.

I like the way the mandibles (blades) retract if the deer is ripping up the woods to escape. The protruding arrow (if it is not a pass through) knocks against trees and pulls the arrow easily as the blade retract. This leaves a fabulous blood trail. Squirt Squirt Squirt.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
wabi

Post by wabi »

Still waiting for a break in the weather to try them out, but we needed the rain, so I'm not complaining. The landowner where I hunt is interested in their performance, too. His Horton crossbow will not group any fixed blade broadheads we've tried. Field points shoot very accurately, but you're lucky to keep broadheads in a 2' square target at 20 yards???? I gave him some Wasp JakHammers and they group OK, but he isn't thrilled with the rubber band system of keeping them closed. Still preaching to him to just retire the Horton and buy an Excalibur. :wink:
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

Wabi,

You'll love those NAPs. I've used nothing else for my last three years and have taken many deer with them. Never had a problem with sharp angle shots or anything. I also like them for their wide cutting diameter (bigger hole :lol: ). The blades only retract when pulled out backwards. Never had that since the arrow's buried in the ground on the other side.

Maple
TYE

Post by TYE »

I thought about the Spitfires but they seem so expensive.
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

They are worth it! :D
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I'm looking forward to trying mine. I didn't realize you had to change the blades after 5 shots :shock: . I used one head for sighting in and the other two are still new.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wabi

Post by wabi »

The instructions recommended changing the retainer clips after 5 shots. I tried one of them out Yesterday, and they grouped right with field points and the Wasp JakHammer I was testing with double bands. An 1 1/2" group at 25 yards from a kneeling position. I put the other 2 Spitfires & JakHammers in the quiver for opening day. :wink:
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

ecoaster wrote:I'm looking forward to trying mine. I didn't realize you had to change the blades after 5 shots :shock: . I used one head for sighting in and the other two are still new.
The retaining clips have "DIMPLES" on them that hold the blades closed. Everytime the blades open these dimples become flattened alittle. If target practicing, using the blades for more than 5 shots is ok, if you happen to have one open early, no problem because it is only a target, not an animal. You can also repress the dimple for target practice but I would always use new for hunting.

Another thing is that I have found that the practice blades will hit exactly where the hunting blades will hit. Put a set of practice blades in one head then you can practice all you want without ruining hunting blades.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
M&M

Post by M&M »

I tried some of them out and one thing i noticed when shooting into a dense foam target is that they start to fill up in the blade channels with the foam it gets packed in there and the blades don't close well so I needed to take the broadhead apart and clean it. But I tried a little silicon spray on it after I cleaned them out and then the foam seamed to come out easier with a toothbrush. M&M
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

M&M,

I found the same thing happening. Hard to get all of it out because of the static charge.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!