STH I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Post by TPM »

So when you guys go big game hunting, why do you choose a crossbow rather than a gun?
Archery season - 3 months. Gun season - 2 weeks. Archery hunting for me - 20 minute drive from home. Gun hunting for me - 3 hour drive from home. I do put away the crossbow for the first week of rifle season and head north, rifle in hand.
The crossbow (or compound) allow me to hunt Saturday mornings and weekday evenings on the way home from work.
edgeofheaven

Post by edgeofheaven »

crazyfarmer wrote:
edgeofheaven wrote:
Golden Eagle wrote:Bows are for Archery season.
Guns are for firearms season
the seasons are different? so you mean I can only go hunting with either a crossbow or a gun, never take them together, right?
have you ever been hunting before? Or do you even have a license to hunt?

archery season comes in about a month or more before gun season. Most hunt with bows since its more of a challenge. I use a crossbow and a compound bow cause I like both. I dont like shooting deer 200 yards with a rifle since its no fun in that.

but based on your post it seems you are either 12 years old or have never hunted before :?:
No, Since I happened to be crazily interested in airgun and crossbow, I have never hunted for even a single once. I am pretty new in this forum. Guess later on I could learn a lot from all you guys.
DJ test

Post by DJ test »

Take a bag of sand.Shoot into it with a crossbow. Note the penetration. Shoot a 30-06 into the same bag.Dig into the bag until you find the
lead or projectile.Let me know the results of which went farther.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I love to hunt and be outdoors and the x bow gives me the abilty due to a disability to partisipate in the archery season thus increasing my days afield. Plus,they are alot of fun to shoot
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
duber

Post by duber »

The reasons I hunt with a crossbow.

Extended season,hunt at home,hunt on Sundays and crossbows are just plain cool!

But the exocet sits on stand-by and the Savage 99 comes out for a week of moose and a week of deer up at my hunting camp.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

In Maine, we can only use a crossbow during firearms season, so I don't get any extra time out of it (have a nice vertical bow for archery season, anyway) as opposed to using a gun.

However, in my town it's "shotguns only". Much less of a difference between a shotgun and a crossbow than a rifle and a crossbow in my opinion.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

edgeofheaven, I can only use a crossbow in my area so I hunt with mine all season.