STH I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

edgeofheaven

STH I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Post by edgeofheaven »

Since the first day I bought a crossbow, I am thinking about a question. compare to a gun, crossbow is not that powerful in the hunting field. a crossbow can only shoot around 50 yards and a gun is powerful enough for hundreds of yard. On the price a crossbow is not cheaper than a pretty good gun. So when you guys go big game hunting, why do you choose a crossbow rather than a gun?
edgeofheaven

Post by edgeofheaven »

because ?
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Bows are for Archery season.
Guns are for firearms season
edgeofheaven

Post by edgeofheaven »

Golden Eagle wrote:Bows are for Archery season.
the seasons are different? so you mean I can only go hunting with either a crossbow or a gun, never take them together, right?
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: If you have to ask you wouldnt understand,
some of us who are disabeld and cant shoot a regular bow , now can still hunt during archery season. Pluss they are a lot of fun GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Edge ...

I'm sure there are some participants on this forum who hunt with nothing but a crossbow, perhaps, as Bstout said, "Because."

That's great. Ain't that America? Or Canada!

I am not one of those who limit myself to one weapon, though. I happily hang archery equipment up when firearms season comes. I hunt with flintlocks, in-lines, buckshot, slugs, and centerfires, too. I am an eclectic hunter; I favor many styles and methods and weapons.

If they had a spear season, I'd be out there chucking one.

And, I just imagine there are many others here who use more than just a crossbow, too.

Grizz
edgeofheaven

Post by edgeofheaven »

excerllent, I might get to but a gun later on although I really like crossbow.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

After gun hunting for many years, I for one need more of a challenge!

So my bow fulfills my need .

Anyone can shot an animal; but a bow hunter chooses to harvest them !

We have gained a different perspective by needing them to come closer into our range to make a humane kill, thus providing our families with fare for the table.

Otherwise we could be like all other hunters; if ya can see it -ya can reach way out and touch it.

Shooting game is not hunting ; it is just shooting!

Oneshot........
Last edited by OneShot on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Edge ...

I'm sure there are some participants on this forum who hunt with nothing but a crossbow, perhaps, as Bstout said, "Because."

That's great. Ain't that America? Or Canada!

I am not one of those who limit myself to one weapon, though. I happily hang archery equipment up when firearms season comes. I hunt with flintlocks, in-lines, buckshot, slugs, and centerfires, too. I am an eclectic hunter; I favor many styles and methods and weapons.

If they had a spear season, I'd be out there chucking one.

And, I just imagine there are many others here who use more than just a crossbow, too.

Grizz
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Don't underestimate archery equipment. It can be just as deadly as any other weapon. With bows you can get up close and personal.

Shooting something at a couple hundred yards just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I have the skill, but no longer the desire.

Now, I like the fact that I can wait to see the white of their eyes before letting one fly. Only those who have done it can appreciate what I mean.

One day you might feel the same way, until then you can only imagine the feeling. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

OneShot said:

"After gun hunting for many years, I for one need more of a challenge ... anyone can shot an animal; but a bow hunter chooses to harvest them ... otherwise we could be like all other hunters ... shooting game is not hunting; it is just shooting!"

Oh, my.

I hope that's not some of the "I'm more of a real hunter than you are because I choose to hunt with a (preferred weapon) or using (favorite method)" language that is so prevalent on other forums.

I've not seen anything like that on here yet.

I think hunting is hunting. I've killed deer with wooden stickbows and handmade arrows. I've killed deer with a scoped centerfire. I've killed deer with all kinds of weapons in between, including a crossbow ... and I've killed deer at 10 yards with every single type. What does that mean? It means that I was hunting with a particular tool at a particular time, nothing more. I was the same guy in any case.

I am no different a man when I carry a rifle than I am when I carry a crossbow ... or anything else. When I pursue game, I am a hunter, period, and my goal is always a quick, clean kill, whatever the game, weapon, or yardage.

If someone chooses to think they're more of a "hunter" because of the method they prefer, well, let them think so. I can't do anything about that.

What I can do is refrain from suggesting that others aren't the hunter I am because they don't hunt like I do. I don't know that. And why not grant them the same freedom of choice and practice I enjoy ... without the comparing and boasting?

C'mon ... let's not do that.

Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

edgeofheaven wrote:
the seasons are different? so you mean I can only go hunting with either a crossbow or a gun, never take them together, right?
have you ever been hunting before? Or do you even have a license to hunt?

archery season comes in about a month or more before gun season. Most hunt with bows since its more of a challenge. I use a crossbow and a compound bow cause I like both. I dont like shooting deer 200 yards with a rifle since its no fun in that.

but based on your post it seems you are either 12 years old or have never hunted before :?:
exocet

Post by exocet »

I wish that were true. As you know, here in PA there is a large bias against Crossbows for archery season, unless you are disabled or near Pittsburgh and Philly, everything in between is taboo with a crossbow. I blame the UBP for alot of this bias. I am praying someday I can hunt with my crossbow everywhere in PA and enjoy archery like all other bowhunters. Problem is, a ton of anti crossbow people don`t view a crossbow as a "BOW", they say it is more liie a gun. they also say, it will ruin the serenity of the woods and have the season cut back form it`s 6 week length. They speak alot of BS in my book. Jack.
TPM

Post by TPM »

So when you guys go big game hunting, why do you choose a crossbow rather than a gun?
Archery season - 3 months. Gun season - 2 weeks. Archery hunting for me - 20 minute drive from home. Gun hunting for me - 3 hour drive from home. I do put away the crossbow for the first week of rifle season and head north, rifle in hand.
The crossbow (or compound) allow me to hunt Saturday mornings and weekday evenings on the way home from work.
edgeofheaven

Post by edgeofheaven »

crazyfarmer wrote:
edgeofheaven wrote:
have you ever been hunting before? Or do you even have a license to hunt?

archery season comes in about a month or more before gun season. Most hunt with bows since its more of a challenge. I use a crossbow and a compound bow cause I like both. I dont like shooting deer 200 yards with a rifle since its no fun in that.

but based on your post it seems you are either 12 years old or have never hunted before :?:
No, Since I happened to be crazily interested in airgun and crossbow, I have never hunted for even a single once. I am pretty new in this forum. Guess later on I could learn a lot from all you guys.