string waxing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

string waxing

Post by M&M »

can you over wax your string? I just changed the string on my exocet 200 but before I put it on I coated it pretty good and warmed it a little with the wife's hair dryer and the string soaked up the wax pretty good. I only heated it enough just to help the wax melt. M&M
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Like anything else, everything can be over done, but in the case of waxing your string, it's not overly critical. The worse thing that can happen is the the string gets tacky, and the serving could go soft.

On the other hand better too much than not enough wax.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
M&M

Post by M&M »

It is kind of weird I have heard different opinions on waxing some say wax the serving only, some say wax the string only not the serving, and some say wax the whole thing so I went with that one. M&M
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Bill T. advices to wax the serving only and NOT the rail. When purchased the string usually comes prewax, but I find the serving kind of dry.

Initially I just wax the serving, however as time goes on I will rewax the entire string, including the loops.

This practice and switching my strings has served me well as my strings last me for several years. Of course I do re-serve my strings from time to time, as any crossbow is tough on the serving.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

M&M

Post by M&M »

when a new string only costs 19$ is it really worth it to reserve it? M&M
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Considering I re-serve my strings several times and it costs me just pennies each time, it most certainly is cost effective and worth the time I invest to do it. Like I stated previously, my strings last me several years, since at the first sign of serving fatigue I'll reserve them.

The three points where strings will generally fail are the middle (serving) and two ends (loops). By keeping these points waxed and maintained, it will prolong the life of the string.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Beaver

Post by Beaver »

What ComfyBear said. I am still shooting the string that came on my Vixen when I got it in march of 2005.

I found a wax called Barnett's LubeWax. I now use it on the serving and loops. No problems or failures of any kind.

As I used to make flemish twist strings for my traditional bows, I have the equipment to easily reserve and it costs only pennies to reserve. I can probably make a new string for around $1.00, or less, when I need one.
I never was as good as I used to be.