Gun question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Gun question

Post by chris4570 »

I have a Crackshot model 28. The caliber stamp on the barrel is .32 long. Is that .32 long colt?

I don't think the gun is much good for anything. Maybe a good gun for trapping. I've had it for a number of years but have never fired it. One day I would like to try, but first I need to know what caliber it is.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Probably 32 S&W Long. A dandy little cartridge. I can't remember but long colt may also work. Some of the "32's" are interchangeable.

Joe
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I just remembered the 32 S&W long is indentical to the 32 Colt New Police, but is not the same, nor is it interchageable with, the 32 Long Colt.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Joe
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

pokynojoe wrote:Probably 32 S&W Long.
Joe
Is this what they were chambered for? Were they also chambered for the .32 Long Colt? Just want to make sure. Thanks.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

OK, here's the skinny according to COW 9th Edition.

32 S&W-similar but not interchangeable with 32 Short Colt

32S&WLong=32Colt New Police=32-44Target. These are the same

32 H&R Magnum: the 32 S&W and 32 S&WLong can be fired in a Magnum revolver but not vice-versa.

32 short Colt-32 Long Colt, short can be fired in LONg but not vice-versa, doubt this is what you have. There is also a 32 Colt, but it's been obsolete for years.

Confused? I know I am. Hope this helps. By the way, I have the gun checked out before I fired it.

Regards
JOe
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

"Is this what they were chambered for?" Don't know Chris, I'm not familiar with that model and my reference books are at work. If you can't find the answer by tommrrow, I'll look it up, and post the info.

Joe
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

pokynojoe wrote:Confused? I know I am.
Yep. Oh well a few more years of collecting dust can't hurt it.

"It CAN Be Done!"
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Hey Chris
Your crackshot is probably a 32 rimfire. Navy arms had some of these cartridges made up around the early 1990's but I'm not sure there still available, might check the auctions. It's possible it could be a 32 Long centerfire, but I doubt it. Some of these single shot rifles were set up to fire both, with a hammer adjustment, but I believe these were mostly made by Marlin. The 32 rimfire's a great small game cartridge out to 50 yards or so. Take it to a gunsmith and let him check it out. Lot's of people have these re-barrelled to shoot the more modern 32 S&W Long cartridge, which is readily available. This is more than you wanted to know isn't it?

Regards
Joe
Eck

Post by Eck »

Joe is corrrect. The .32 rimfires came in several "flavors" Short and Long being the most common. I am almost positive that the Crackshot rifles were chambered from the factory only for the Rimfire .32 cartridges.

CIL made a run of rimfire ammo in both long and short on the late 50's or so, and Navy Arms had some made up within the last 15 or 20 years.

I personally would not attempt to rechamber/convert the rifle to a centerfire. Those actions aren't very strong.
TPM

Post by TPM »

If it's a Model 28 then it's definetly 32 rimfire. These guns were made from the mid 1890's to the mid 1930's.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Last .32 rimfire ammo I found was Canuk (sp?) brand.
wabi
MooseMeat

Post by MooseMeat »

Last time I bought .32 Rimfire ammo back in the mid 80's I get them in Canada, maybe someone up there knows if you can still buy them there.

I still have a box or two for my old crackshot .32.