I know this isn't crossbow related but...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

I know this isn't crossbow related but...

Post by TYE »

I'm really interested in the Remington Model 710 rifle. I really think I'm going to buy one for next year, but I don't really know anyone who has one, so i don't really know much about it other than the little bit I've read about it.

Does anyone here own one or has anyone shot / had experiences with the rifle?

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... el_710.asp
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Tye, the Savage model 10 is comparable in value and all Savage Models come with the Accutrigger, adjustable trigger. I bought one last Spring and it's really slick. There's a new Gander Mountain openned up here last weekend, and I think they were selling the Remingtion package your interested in for $349.00 or around there. I looked at one and it seems like a nice rifle, but unfortunately, I don't think they come in left-hand.

Joe
TYE

Post by TYE »

pokynojoe wrote:Tye, the Savage model 10 is comparable in value and all Savage Models come with the Accutrigger, adjustable trigger. I bought one last Spring and it's really slick. There's a new Gander Mountain openned up here last weekend, and I think they were selling the Remingtion package your interested in for $349.00 or around there. I looked at one and it seems like a nice rifle, but unfortunately, I don't think they come in left-hand.

Joe
The only places around me that carry rifles are Accuracy Plus, which is like 10 minute drive, and Gagnon Sports in Oshawa, about 40 minutes away, then Bass Pro Shops might carry rifles, I dunno never been there before.

I'm gonna find out a price for the Remington Model 710 when I'm Accuracy Plus next time.

I'm just looking to find out more about the rifle.
TYE

Post by TYE »

pokynojoe wrote:Tye, the Savage model 10 is comparable in value and all Savage Models come with the Accutrigger, adjustable trigger. I bought one last Spring and it's really slick. There's a new Gander Mountain openned up here last weekend, and I think they were selling the Remingtion package your interested in for $349.00 or around there. I looked at one and it seems like a nice rifle, but unfortunately, I don't think they come in left-hand.

Joe
The only places around me that carry rifles are Accuracy Plus, which is like 10 minute drive, and Gagnon Sports in Oshawa, about 40 minutes away, then Bass Pro Shops might carry rifles, I dunno never been there before.

I'm gonna find out a price for the Remington Model 710 when I'm Accuracy Plus next time.

I'm just looking to find out more about the rifle.
JR

Post by JR »

Save your money TYE. Very cheaply made and overpriced. Go with the Savage, you will not regret it. If you are a little tight on cash, take a serious look at the Stevens line. Just as accurate as the Savage, without all the bells and whistles. I have the Savage 10FPLE-1A. What a tack driver! I picked it up from Ellwood Epps north of Orillia. http://www.ellwoodepps.com/ Great store and service. Here's a pic of my sniper. :D :D
and what she shoots 5 shot groups like @ 150 yards :D :D
-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hmm... I'm just look for a bolt action .30-06. Maybe .308, something around .30-06 though. I figured the Model 710 with the scope on it was a good deal, and I've read alot of good stuff about the rifle.

I don't know anything about savage.

I just don't feel like spending $800 on a rifle.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Right now I have a Remington 30-06 semi, but if it jams at all this year I'm gonna buy a new rifle for next year.
marmot

Post by marmot »

TYE wrote:Hmm... I'm just look for a bolt action .30-06. Maybe .308, something around .30-06 though. I figured the Model 710 with the scope on it was a good deal, and I've read alot of good stuff about the rifle.

While you are at it, be sure to check out rifles chambered in .270 (.30-06 necked down) and 7mm-08 (.308 necked down). If I get another rifle, it will be chambered in 7mm-08. I prefer the flatter shooting afforded by the necked-down 7mm-sized rounds.
TYE

Post by TYE »

marmot wrote:
TYE wrote:Hmm... I'm just look for a bolt action .30-06. Maybe .308, something around .30-06 though. I figured the Model 710 with the scope on it was a good deal, and I've read alot of good stuff about the rifle.

While you are at it, be sure to check out rifles chambered in .270 (.30-06 necked down) and 7mm-08 (.308 necked down). If I get another rifle, it will be chambered in 7mm-08. I prefer the flatter shooting afforded by the necked-down 7mm-sized rounds.
I hunt thick stuff. My shots are 99% of the time within 50 yards. So I'm lookin' for heavy calibre's.

Right now I shoot a 180gr .30-06 Winchester Silvertip bullet.
exocet

Post by exocet »

I use to own many Rem 700`s, all were in .270=Smokin!! The newer Remington 700`s aren`t very good in my opinion. I don`t know what has happened to them, but the finish is horrible and very rough edged and the new R3 recoil pad is nasty, very cheap feeling. The newer Rem 700`s in my opinion aren`t nearly as nice as even 10 years ago, something has changed and not for the good and I use to be a big 700 guy. If I were to buy a new bolt action it would be a Stevens 200 for under $300. The same as the Savage 110 without that annoying Accutrigger. I would get it in .270, but that is just me!! Jack.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I can't find anything on these Stevens rifles. Anyone have a link?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nevermind, I'm just dumb and blind and didn't see the Stevens thing on the Savage website. :oops:
TYE

Post by TYE »

So whats so special about these Stevens rifles?
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've done more reading on the 710's and I'm gonna scrap that idea, lol.

Can anyone tell me more about these Stevens rifles and what's so good about them?
TYE

Re: rifle

Post by TYE »

gutpile wrote:Close shots in heavy bush demands a 45/70 lever action with ghost ring sights.....reliable,safe,hard hitting and can still reach out if need be
I thought about that, or a .35.

But I think I'm gonna stick with a .30-06 and I really like the Bolt actions. My semi auto is nice, but it used to jam. Hopefully that problem is fixed now :)