4 more days for the VA bow season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

4 more days for the VA bow season

Post by crazyfarmer »

figured I'd start one for us that season doesnt open untill Oct 7th 8)

Im in a jam this year since its so many acorns in the woods that the bucks arent hitting the fields in daylight like the years before. I have 12 stands up on different farms and im clueless which friggin one to hunt. I have 2 in mind in the deep woods, but I wanted to save them for when pressure steps up later in the season.

in other words, this years scouting has sukked and I havent patterned any decent bucks :oops:

anyway, no matter I'l still be up in a stand in the peace and quite away from my 2 kids HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH:-P

so hurry the heck up saturday.. a nice, new exocet200 is waiting 8)
Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

This week is killing me at work waiting for the VA opener. I'm taking leave next week to hunt at Fort AP Hill. Good luck to you.

Rich
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

farmer , I'll be getting a lic. for VA this year. My son goes to Fork Union Military Academy and I have the good fortune to have a 350 acra farm to hunt in Trevilians Va.

Good luck this season.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Hey guys,
I almost missed the opener because of a bridal shower in New York but luckily I got out of it :D :D :D . Hopefully my luck will hold up and I will have a chance to try out the new exocet on a nice buck. All I have to do is make it through my birthday tommorrow and two more days after that. I hate the week before the opener. It seems like the longest week of the year to me. I havn't gotten any scouting done so I will be a little blind, but I know the area I will be going pretty well and I'm pretty confident I will have a decent chance at finding a good one. C.F. what kind of acorns are dropping in your spots? You probably know this but make sure you hunt near white oaks if you can. Good luck, have fun, and be safe. I hope to be seeing some good pics next week.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I agree CF. I have 6 stands up in one small area and have no idea which one to use. The landowner of my hunting area has placed a culvert across a stream near my stand where a number of trails come together heading to and from corn fields and a vineyard. The deer are using it as a bridge. I just have no idea what time of day they are coming through. It could be early, late, or midnight. I guess a little trial and error is the only way to know.

I've had great luck the last couple years in this location during gun and black power seasons, but there is a lot more hunting pressure on adjacent lands during those seasons. I'm thinking early and late may be about all of the movement we will see until things cool down some more.

I'm just hoping something wanders into bow range during the first week.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LV2HNT wrote:Hey guys,
I almost missed the opener because of a bridal shower in New York but luckily I got out of it :D :D :D . Hopefully my luck will hold up and I will have a chance to try out the new exocet on a nice buck. All I have to do is make it through my birthday tommorrow and two more days after that. I hate the week before the opener. It seems like the longest week of the year to me. I havn't gotten any scouting done so I will be a little blind, but I know the area I will be going pretty well and I'm pretty confident I will have a decent chance at finding a good one. C.F. what kind of acorns are dropping in your spots? You probably know this but make sure you hunt near white oaks if you can. Good luck, have fun, and be safe. I hope to be seeing some good pics next week.
Its plenty of white oaks around 2-3 of my stands and since they arent checking the field smuch now untill night im probably gonne hunt those stands. But like said above the first week is gonan be trial and error for most of us. Its gonna be a full moon from the looks of it now so that isnt gonna help much
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Looks like a wet start might be in store for us here in the eastern parts. Time to set up the ground blind and watch it rain.
Rich

Post by Rich »

The rain is coming, time for the umbrella and rain poncho. That's what will be nice about the xbow, you don't have to worry about standing and having that bulky clothing on. Good luck.

Rich
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

:) Thank god for gortex. :)
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

looks like Team Va is gonna suck on opening day LOL.... heavy rain friday night but it may fiddle out saturday afternoon. If it does slack off around 3-4 saturday then look out for deer in the fields;)

either way, im going... cant kill anything at home in the bed 8)