Quit smoking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Quit smoking

Post by DrDan »

I quit smoking in early June after doing it for almost 50 years. "What a difference"!!! After three months of not smoking now I can smell again. Gheesh when a smoker comes into my office it almost gags me. Last year I didn't see a bear on a bear hunt in Maine - this year I saw bear on day 1, day 2 and day 3. Same with deer - I was in ground blind tonight with Scentlok Jacket and head cover and had deer wandering around 15 to 20 yards from me and they never knew I was there.

I really think it makes a difference and so glad I made it! Just decided one day that I wouldn't buy anymore. The first week I searched out every pipe I had for a little bit of tobacco in the bowl and would get a puff once or twice a day. After about a week it was all gone. Yes I still have times when I'd like a smoke but I really don't ever want to feel sick and cough all night again - besides it makes me a much more effective hunter.

For those of you who want to quit but haven't it sure will make a difference in your hunting skills.

DrDan
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

We go up to area 47 for the second week of rifle season, one of the guys that goes up, shoots deer every year and pretty much every time he was smoking, and he shotting the at close ranges, because it's quiet thick up there.
saxman

Post by saxman »

21 years ago when my wife became pregnant with our first child (1 of 6)
we both smoked and she wanted to quit for the baby so I quit to support her.She picked it back up and I never did.
I have heard stories of if affecting and not affecting hunting situations.
I guess nothing is chizzled in stone when it comes to deer and wildlife
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
duber

Post by duber »

I quit for 2 years then fell back off the wagon.I found it harder after 2 years than I did the first month.I have got to quit again.That said,I didn't see as many deer when I wasn't smoking than when I was smoking.I'm sure it is just cowinsidence.With smoking I don't think it is the smell as much as the movement that us smokers do to get our fix.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Congratulations on kicking the butt :D . I think it's pretty sad to see the young teenagers at the high school across the road picking up the habbit. I've never got hooked but my dad is going on 40 years of smoking and he has tried to quit. I can see what the withdrawl does to him. It's hard to see that. He has never managed to kick it completely. Hope he can find the strenght soon.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I may be wrong - deer may not mind the smoke, but one thing I know is that bear won't go anywhere near it. Yes I sure wish more people could quit just for a couple months so they can get an idea of how good they feel naturally. I have so much energy now and feel so good. I actually feel like I may live a few more. When I was waking up at night and coughing up phlegm for an hour at a time I thought it might be all over soon. Of course I loved my pipes and think about how nice it would be to just sit back and relax and have a smoke, but I know I'd be hacked my lungs up in just a few short weeks.

DrDan
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Congrats!!!, it is a hard one to kick!
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Congrats!! Stay with it. I quit three years ago. I took the money I saved and bought my Exocet. I gotta think that was one of my better ideas.
wabi

Post by wabi »

How do you pray?
It is the the teaching of my Shawnee ancestors that the smoke of tobacco must be used to carry my prayers to KijiMoneto (Great Creator).
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Congrats. I too quit. Smoking really is a lose lose situation. You lose your good health and your money.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Wags

Post by Wags »

Good for you and not smoking. I can remember in the day smoking away and deer still walking up on me! There ex-smokers now......