Pop-Up Blind Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mtbyak

Pop-Up Blind Question

Post by mtbyak »

Was sitting in my pop-up wondering.... do most people leace shooting windows open or closed when they leave their blind?

Just thought this might be another reason deer do not make themself visible around them as the black hole in the pattern when in use.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im gonna shut mine up(first year using it). Just so bugs and crap stay out(well most of them anyway)
readyeddie

pop up blind

Post by readyeddie »

I got a new one the other day and it smells bad like plastic.I had a buck come up behind me last night and i think the smell spooked him.I tried scent killer and doe urine but nothing seems to cover this plastic smell any ideas?
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Maybe I have dumb deer here, but from day one deer been coming within 20 yards of my Ameristep Stackhouse blind. I close it up during day and open just the window I am using so excess light doesn't get in when using it. Deer just stand there eating corn and look at me with no alert whatsoever. Now they really freaked out when I added a salt block - dang thing scared the daylights out of them so I moved it down into the woods away from where I am baiting them.

DrDan
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I set up and take down each time I use my blind. I hunt mostly land that has public access, so if I left the blind there I likely wouldn't have to worry about the windows, the blind would be gone. :? :? :x :x

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
wabi

Post by wabi »

This thread gives me an idea :idea:
My blind (Ameristep Doghouse) turned to a nasty shade of pink when I left it out. I got some spray paint & gave it a new camo job last year. I might do the windows in flat black so they look the same open or closed!
wabi
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

huntin1 wrote:I set up and take down each time I use my blind. I hunt mostly land that has public access, so if I left the blind there I likely wouldn't have to worry about the windows, the blind would be gone. :? :? :x :x

huntin1
same here, you can't leave anything behind
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Doe urine??????

That buck may try to ride your blind when you are in it :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I think I would try something else, like apple juice from a spray bottle.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mine has that "new" smell also, but it should fade away.

I hunted out of mine for then first time(ameristep brickhouse TSC model). It poured rain today so it was nice to stay dry and hunt. It had afew leaks though, but I moved the chair to dodge those lol. Its definitly different from treestands. Its nice being able to relax and move without being seen.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

crazyfarmer wrote:mine has that "new" smell also, but it should fade away.

I hunted out of mine for then first time(ameristep brickhouse TSC model). It poured rain today so it was nice to stay dry and hunt. It had afew leaks though, but I moved the chair to dodge those lol. Its definitly different from treestands. Its nice being able to relax and move without being seen.
I agree - I love it in mine. Wish I had bought one years ago.

DrDan
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bstout wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:mine has that "new" smell also, but it should fade away.

CF, I keep a plastic garbage bag and some twistie ties (short pieces of copper wire) in my blinds at all times. I can fashion a quick makeshift eaves trough in a hurry by attaching the garbage bag to the fiberglass supports. Than I can funnel the water off into an unused corner allowing me to sit wherever I please.

Works good!
hmm, good idea;) I can handle a little drip here and there, but it does suk when one finds it way right down your neck/back. Still beats getting SOAKED outside the blind though. Im just not use to being on the ground though. Im gonna make it a goal this year to take atleast 1-2 deer from the groundblind though