Wasp Fixed -vs- NAP SpitFires

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AirForceVet

Wasp Fixed -vs- NAP SpitFires

Post by AirForceVet »

I received the standard Wasp broadhead's with my xbow., and i'm going to order some new bolts from OH tomarrow.

Should one stay with the Wasp as recommended by excalibur or NAP spitfires 100 grain as i seen many on here commenting on? Thanks for your input, I need the infor before investing in a some for my new bolts.
Are the Spitfires a better machanical that don't need double banding say like on a ecomax.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I had used the wasp heads for years with great success. I only changed to the Spitfires for the larger cutting dia and found out that their accuracy was just as great as the wasps.

It is up to you as to what you choose to use, but either would work great.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Killed a bear with a 4 blade wasp Boss this year the wound was nasty. This head flys like a dart with myExocet and Beeman Thunderbolts.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

this morning i was looking at our set-ups and between my wasp's, the Montec G5's and the Thunderhead 100 that the other 2 were using, i really think next time i need to buy broadhead's i'd go with the Montec G5, they are and look extremely sharp out of the box, a very well designed broadhead, you pay 45 bucks for 3 compared to the 45 for 6 wasp's or thunderheads, so they cost twice as more as the other 2, but i will still go with them, next time i need broadheads.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Neither. First you do not even need one band on the NAP Spitfire. I have been shooting them for years and they do not open in flight. However, this year I tried the Rage 3 balde Cut-on- contact and it is superior to the Spitfire. The entry wound is awesome unlike the over-the-top mechanical.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
shifty

Post by shifty »

I just killed a doe with the wasp boss head out of my exomag and shot head on at 30 yrds the arrow would have passed right trough it had it not hit the back leg bone head on. The deer went down in 6 secounds. I just walked up to her right after i shot. very quick and very clean kill. I measured and the wound channel and the arrow penetrated 37 inches before hitting bone. the tip is still broke off in the leg bone.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Two shots, two deer with the Wasp's that came with my Exocet. I don't think Excalibur would supply them with they're bows if they weren't top of the line heads. Having said that I bought Slick Tricks this year. That's because boys will be boys and I need new toys.
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

NAP do not recommend the spitfire out of the Exomax as the acceleration is too severe and there is a chance the blades will open. Their website used to say they would not open even at 400fps but NAP told me that they have a Exomax and the test results are inconclusive.
Steven
Steven in England
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

WOW IM SURPRISED NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SLICK TRICKS YET...... THE SPITFIRES ARE NICE AND I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE WASPS BUT IM STICKING WITH MY SLICK TRICKS:)
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I inadvertently bought 4 bladed muzzy's when I was looking for some three blades. I have read 4 blades do not fly as straight as the three blades. Not true, as accurate as my field points.

Killed a doe yesterday, broke the top of the shoulder and exited the lower rib cage, stuck in the ground on the other side. Cracked like a rifle when it hit the bone. Deer went down in 10 yards.

Replaced the blade and back in business. I do not have a lot of experience but I am sticking with the muzzy 100 grain four blade with my exomag.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I hope my saying so doesn't tick anyone off, but I think a broadhead is a broadhead is a broadhead, in general ... so long as it's a quality offering from a respected manufacturer.

In my experience, if it mounts solid, spins evenly, flies to reliable groups, and is sharp, it will kill deer, period. Not one kills deer deader than others. A head is a head, and dead is dead.

We all have preferences, and always will, but it's not nearly the big deal we make of it. Most of the talk is generated by marketing strategy and our incurable desire to buy something that will somehow make us better, rather than any real shocking difference in effective performance.

I've killed many deer with one of the top name brand puncture-tip replaceable-blade broadheads ... but one year I decided to get the Cabela's branded heads of the same type, because money was tighter. Didn't make ONE LITTLE BIT of difference in the end. Arrows flew, broadheads cut, and deer died. The only difference was that I saved about $30 that season.

Don't get me wrong. I like to get what I think is the best in class. If I didn't, I wouldn't have bought an Excalibur crossbow ... but there again, I doubt that it would make much EFFECTIVE difference in the end. I've killed deer with this Exomax, but I'll bet I would have killed them with a Horton or a Barnett or a Middleton too.

I guess it does give us something to argue about, though.

I have found the Wasp Boss SST heads to give performance on par with any I've ever used, and I've used a lot.

If you've already got them, I'd sure use them.

Grizz
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

AFV,
If I can figure it out I will post the exit and entry wound for the new Rage. It is the first time I have used them and after years on being a Spitfire supporter, I have changed to the Rage after one "application" of them. Incredible. Check out their website. It is for real in the field.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur