Bowhunting In The Rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vapredhunter

Bowhunting In The Rain

Post by vapredhunter »

Ok guys Saturday was our bow season opener it rained then it rained and it rained some more so I went back to bed. What do you guys think about bowhunting in the rain? I have been bowhunting 23 years and I never bow hunt in the rain or when there’s 100% chance of rain. I was taught rain washes blood trail away and the chance of recovering your game.
Last year I read an article in Bowhunting magazine about how great bowhunting in the rain can be. They said not to worry about lost game just make sure you make good shots and deer should fall quickly. I have cut a deers heart in two with an arrow and seen them run 200 yards so we all know thats bull.
I agree hunting in the rain can yield some great bucks I grew up in Maryland hunting soybean fields and there’s nothing better then hunting a soybean field on a slow drizzle or dark wet misty day but I think it's to risky to do it with your bow. I have only lost a couple of deer over the years and every time it makes me sick. So I think waiting a day or two for fair weather seems better then shooting what might be a your biggest trophy buck and not be able find him.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Some of the best hunting occurs when it rains. As far as losing the blood trail, that usually only happens in a torrential downpour. Heart shots are lethal, but as you say, the deer tend to travel further before expiring. However, if you make sure to get a good double lung shot the deer will not go too far and tracking shouldn't be a problem, even without a blood trail.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Tom

Post by Tom »

As comfy said, a heart shot they will run it seems forever. I have always said to shoot for the lungs and not the heart. It is very difficult for the deer to run if it can't breathe.

For me hunting in the rain just means that I double and tripple check my shots before It take them. Making sure that they are the most efficant shots and that the chances of success are great.

Good luck and wear a good rain suit.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

most excellent friend to take hunting with you would be the good ole rain......Its a great time..stay warm and dry dont get sick...double lung is the way......good luck
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

bstout,

I have seen some of the greatest numbers of deer in windy conditions. It does get you busted more often than not because with archery you gotta get em in so close. But, I have seen some great numbers of deer in open fields when it is windy. There is always one on the look out for danger.

I do hunt in the rain. I find if you can find some real heavy tree canopy, tall thick pines, cedars, etc, the deer will head to these relatively sheltered spots during rain.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!