Dacron or Fast Flight...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

Dacron or Fast Flight...

Post by pokynojoe »

I've noticed that Excalibur has a Dacron Flemish twist String available. Has anyone been using one of these? I like the idea of Dacron as I believe there's less chance of damaging the limbs, should one have the misfortune of dry-firing the bow. Would there be any advantage to using the Flemish string as opposed to the Endless loop string, given the same material?

Joe
Stash

Post by Stash »

Flemish has twice the number of strands going around the loops, for more strength.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've used them for years with no problems. You loose a bit of speed that no one but your chrony notices but it is a bit more quiet than fast flight. The string I use for practice has been frayed at the loop ends for a couple of years now. I don't know if they will fit onto the ends of the mag tips. I have carved limb tips.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Flemish dacron strings will work fine - I've made a few for my Excaliburs (mag-tip limbs) over the years. They do stretch quite a bit at first!
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i use the FFF one.. a buddie has the other and his bow is a tad quieter, but nothing drastic. Mines about 10fps quicker if that matters.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Thanks all, I think I'll try one.

Joe
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

pokynojoe wrote:Thanks all, I think I'll try one.

Joe
also, with the FFF... you have to twist it after every 5-6 shots for the first 25-30shots roughly since it likes to stretch. Its no biggie. When mine gets within a 1/8th inch from the far mark I just twist it once which moves it roughly 1/8th to 1/4th inch back to where its supposed to be.

other than that I think its worth the extra speed.