Brace height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Brace height

Post by DrDan »

I am new to tuning crossbows - last one I had was setup by Dan Miller and I sold it before it needed a string change.

Anyhow I have a new Phoenix with the Excel string - brace height is 7/8" and I read that 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 is sweet spot. Now I chrono'd this bow with Series 22 Gold-Tip with Wasp Boss 100gr broadheads and got 285 fps. I want to get it up to 305 fps.

If you move brace height back what effect does it have on arrow speed? What happens if it is moved forward? Common sense tells me that the longer the draw the higher speed, but I may be off in left field.

Thanks for your help - I'm learning

DrDan
Stash

Post by Stash »

Check the other threads on strings...if you want more speed, go to the FF Fastflite string.

Raising the BH will slow the bow a tiny bit, lowering it will speed it up a tiny bit, but you'll get a lot more noise and probably lose accuracy if it's too low. Stay within the timing marks, preferably right in the middle and don't worry about 285 or 305 FPS - no practical hunting difference. Accuracy is far more important.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you want max speed set the brace height lower and get a fastflight string. If you get it too low the string may come off when you shoot!!! Keep it behind the line closest to the riser!
If you want a quiet bow with less vibration keep the dacron string set very close to the second line back and put the chronograph away and forget worrying about velocity. Any deer within 30 yards or so is still in big trouble! :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you lower the brace height you might pick up 2-3fps

getting the FFF string will add anywhere from 8-17fps. Mine gained 15fps wioth just the string change
TYE

Post by TYE »

Speed is over-rated.... :P
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:If you want max speed set the brace height lower and get a fastflight string. If you get it too low the string may come off when you shoot!!! Keep it behind the line closest to the riser!
If you want a quiet bow with less vibration keep the dacron string set very close to the second line back and put the chronograph away and forget worrying about velocity. Any deer within 30 yards or so is still in big trouble! :wink:
Ayep says it all pretty much, however not really being a speed freak, I still like to get the best speed I can with in the fac.specs. as it gives one a flatter shot. However one should set his/her xbow up to suite them not anyone else. meaning if it shoots like you want then that is what counts .... :D

Good ole Blue-Tooth wireless-on the road!!!
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Hell I just trying to get it up to the published specs which are 301 fps with Series 22. It's plenty accurate. Maybe just the flemish twist will bring it up to that.

DrDan
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

DrDan wrote:Hell I just trying to get it up to the published specs which are 301 fps with Series 22. It's plenty accurate. Maybe just the flemish twist will bring it up to that.

DrDan
FFF string + 1/1/8" BH + 250gr arrow should = advert.Speed .... :D

Blue-Tooth wireless
On The Road !! :)
Always learning!!
Home fer now!