Ground VS Tree

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Ground VS Tree

Post by saxman »

Which do you like better and why?
Do you like stalking or sitting in a natural or store bought blind?
Or are you a treesatnd kind of guy or gal.
Just curious.
I do what the situation calls for (when I get a chance to hunt at all)
But i would say most of the time it's a treesatnd for me.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bucklandman

Post by bucklandman »

I mostly like tree stands "when possible" but have hunted natural ground blinds with some success, i also like using tent type blinds,, mostly on new turf and above all in the rain,,
Excalibur EXOMAX"""
Lumi-zone scope
xx75 2219
125gr Slick tricks
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

LOL Reason I'm in a wheelchair is falling out of treestand deer hunting. Was climbing down and put my weight on a 3" diameter branch to swing down to next branch. Last thing I saw as I was doing a backflip straight into the earth was dry rot powder falling off that 3" diameter branch that broke off right where it hooked into the main trunk. If I'd a been using a ground blind I'd still be walking... Besides that I constantly listen to the whining of the treestand guys in bear camp. Their butts and backs are aching after two or three days in the treestand. I am sold on ground blinds now that I bought one. The Ameristep Stackhouse that I have is dry and I have deer coming 15 feet away from it and they do not know I am in there. It is amazing... I wear ScentLock clothing and I guess the walls of the blind have some carbon in them - whatever it is they do not seem to smell me in there. Another nice thing about it is that you can move around a little and not be seen. I know treestands have their plusses, but I like comfort and safety.

DrDan
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

wow dan , sorry to hear of your injury. anymore i've been ground hunting also and seeing some deer.---------STEEL
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

It's the ground for me most days. Not sure if it's ultra paranoia on treestand stealers or I'm just too lazy :oops: I have 1 treestand left and not enough exclusive property to leave it.....besides, the first hour I took my Exocet in the woods, I had NO CAMO, NO blind, No backrest, just sitting on the edge of a ravine. A beautiful little doe came 20 yd(max) right in front of me. :shock:
I get way too cold in treestands anyway!
I love the ground!
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

It depends on the situation for me. I have seen many deer within a few yards of my pop up tent blind while turkey hunting. They would have been an easy bow shot for sure. They know there is something new and not quite right in their territory but come in to investigate anyways. It's nice to be able to stretch your legs, sit in a confortable chair and pour yourself a coffee all the while knowing you won't get busted by a sneaky one.

I prefer a tree stand during the rifle hunt for the view it offers and the long distance go out and touch a deer with a bullet it provides. I must qualify here that my stands are all built by myself with room for two, 32 inch sides all around and a roof over head. I also build quality 16 feet ladders for each of them. I will not sit in a commercial stand for confort reasons and the fear of falling out of it. I realize that this is not possible for a lot of guys unless you are the landowner.

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've hunted both on the ground and in a tree. The tree forces you to be patient. If I sit on the ground I'll be still hunting within an hour or two. I've been successful both ways. The ability to see further into the woods is a big plus when hunting in a tree. Being on the ground and taking one while on the ground is very rewarding.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

Well, For the last 15 years I hunted exclusively out of tree stands and I loved it. Iused both tree ladders and hanging stands with yard sale ladders. I hunt public land and simply cabled them to the tree and never had a problem. This year is my first year hunting on the ground in a long,long time and after two trips I'm really frustrated. Can't see as far as I can up in the tree, can't seem to sit still. Deer busted me both nights. I just received a doghouse blind I ordered earlier in the week so I'm anxious to give that a try, but I'm a bit concerned with the shiny windows. That caught me off gaurd when I opened it tonight. Can anybody enlighten me about the shiny window fabric?
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use both.
Sometims the advantages of an elevated stand to carry off scent, and give a better view are important. Some times there just isn't a good location for a tree stand.
The pop-up blind allows me to set up at about any location, and to take my 6-year old son along. (Perhaps not the best thing for seeing deer, but he loves to view the few we do see. :lol: )
I've had some luck over the years of just using natural cover for a "ground blind", too. In some cases a downed tree is just the thing. I've used camo netting to improve the natural blind when it's practical to do so.
wabi
silenthunter

Post by silenthunter »

Joe
The shiny window fabric is on the inside and is what keeps your scent from leaving the blind. By the camo being on the outside it doesn't seem to reflect light to scare deer but to me they are not clear enough to see through.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

silenthunter wrote:Joe
The shiny window fabric is on the inside and is what keeps your scent from leaving the blind. By the camo being on the outside it doesn't seem to reflect light to scare deer but to me they are not clear enough to see through.
Thanks silenthunter. I wanted to open the blind up in the living run (reaining and dark outside) but the wife frowned on that idea. Don't want to push my luck she bought the blind for me. :D

I think I'll take it hunting with me tomorrow and see what happens.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Neither, I hunt deer by walking in the bush. Early morning up a creek in the spring or right up in the head guts sidling around the hill from gut to gut with the wind in my face will do the trick. I have never climbed a tree nor used a blind of any sort.
If it feels good, DO IT.