Finally- First excal deer(8pt 20')

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Finally- First excal deer(8pt 20')

Post by crazyfarmer »

Finally.... Its been 3 days since bow season opened here in Va. After passing on a good buck monday(6pt -18') and seeing a good shooter buck, along with about 11doe also I had a nice one walk up today at 5:45pm. Its 2 cold fronts coming through so deer were on the move. I hunted a different farm since wind had shifted and wasnt good for the stand I was hunting. After battling the skeeters I was about to get down and call it a day early, then I heard footsteps coming through the woods. No sooner than when he stepped in the open, it never fails here, but the WIND SHIFTED and started blowing right in his face. He stopped and scented me but he didnt know what was there. I had the bow up ready and he was facing STRAIGHT towards me at 23yards(which I thought was 30 at the time). After holding the bow for 10mins, felt like 50pounds by then. I had to do something. I had skeeters eating me alive since they were flying around my eyes and coming into my face mask. He finally turned slighty and I let it fly. It was a instant hit which I saw go high and the bolt didnt exit since it hit bone and more bone. I knew he was a decent buck about 18inches and atleast 8pt's. I always pass on anything smaller and it usually pays off. But anyway, rain was coming and I thought I heard him fall about 75yards off. I got down within 5mins and walked over to where the shot was and found blood. Good lung blood and ALOT of it. I figured he didnt go far so I walked to the truck and unloaded some things I didnt need and headed back 30mins later and started SLOW tracking him. The trail was easy to find and follow but I made sure to look ahead in case he was still alive. Anyway, I found him about 10mins later and 60 yards away. The shot had went high but angled into his lungs, liver, and everything. I total lights out shot, but still one I dont want to take again.
The slicktrick blow I hole in him about 3inches around. My bolt broke off inside also, but thats no big deal.

anyway, 3 days of season and a good buck. Im gonna place him on a board atleast. But he ended up being 8pt's and 20inchs exactly side. I wish his horns were thicker and the tines were taller, but ill take him as my first excal deer kill! Oh and when the bow fired, it definitly shook the woods lol. Damn these things are loud in a quite woods LOL

here are the pics I just took

the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

congrats
very nice buck

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks.. ill also add that the slicktrick didnt break any blades or anything on it. It was perfectly intact and still sharp like before the shot!

I was weary and wondered how they would cut compared to my muzzy's but they did the job well!
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Good job Farmer, I just could'nt wait on the big one I had to let her fling on that first one but I gave him a fighting chance I had the fever it's been a long summer. Now I can wait for the second one :lol: . Good Luck Chris,
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

vapredhunter wrote:Good job Farmer, I just could'nt wait on the big one I had to let her fling on that first one but I gave him a fighting chance I had the fever it's been a long summer. Now I can wait for the second one :lol: . Good Luck Chris,
hahaha, I hear ya man. I kicked myself for not taking that 6 monday since I had the itch to shoot this bow at a good buck. Now I know it works so I can hold off for his daddy. Suks cause only 2 buck tags left and ALOT of time ahead of us. Whatever gets shot at next is gonna be BIG, if not its walking. I forgot how much of a pain it is to handle a deer when its 75-80 out also :!:

go get your big one now also and goodluck 8)
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Congratulations, nice buck.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D SWEET !! nice trophy, did the bolt splinter inside ? if so how bad and what type of bolt GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Hey nice buck Farmer. You did good!

DrDan
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats Crazyfarmer! That's an awesome buck!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Nothing wrong with that buck. Congrats!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
JR

Post by JR »

Nice buck farmer. Way to go.

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Very Nice Buck !
leaf fan

Post by leaf fan »

I'll take one of them in my sights anytime.Nice buck.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice buck!!! - Congrats!!!
wabi
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Sweet ! Congradulations. You done good waiting for a good buck now that 6 will only get bigger insted of in the frezzer.

CF, are you down off of 29? Just woundering. I make a trip down to FUMA each week.