FFF String Life with a Ecomax?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bodkin

FFF String Life with a Ecomax?

Post by Bodkin »

All I have been a proud owner of an Ecomax for about 16 months and have shot I think probably over 500 shots with the same FFF string. I redid the serving probably 150 shots ago and its holding up very well being nice and tight with no separation. My question is it still seems to be stretching and every 50 shots or so I have to twist it to keep the brace height constant. Is it safe to continue to shoot as long as serving and end loops are fine? I have broken in a second FFF string as a back up but I guess I want to just keep shooting my first string since the serving is better. I shoot GT Laser II's with the brass inserts as was reccomended to me by Dan Miller for long bow life. Reading the post about broken limbs on an Ecomax has me worried about limb failure should I push the string life to far.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I've never had a string break, so I can't offer any first hand observation on that part of your question.

However, if your string is about to fail, I would expect it would be obvious. There should be obvious end loop unravelling, or fraying or chafing, or some broken strands before the string would fail.

I would be much more concerned about damage from dry firing than from a string breaking.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

So far I found the FFF string to be holding up better than the dacron. better accuracy too.

It does need a twist every once and a while.