Hunting Location Concerns - How would you handle it?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Texas Dirt Devil

Hunting Location Concerns - How would you handle it?

Post by Texas Dirt Devil »

I am new to the forum and one of the reasons I am looking to purchase an Excalibur Crossbow is because the location were my wife and I live is in the country and shooting handguns for target practice is fine - However I would never consider using my 30-06 for hunting or sighting in because I still have houses within a mile or less -

My property is only about 3 acers and has a creek behind our house - in addition there is a costal hayfield and some thick brush as well were I have seen whitetails in

A crossbow here is Texas is legal during the general season and now for what I am concerned about - What if I shoot a whitetail on my property and it goes down on someone else's property which would be ajoining hayfield's on both sides of our property - There are no houses on the hayfields on either side and no one around me know's who even owns it for me to ask permission - So I ask

What are the rules or gentleman's agreement for shooting an animale on your property but then having it go down and have to be recovered on someone else's property?

Secondly - what broadhead is most likely to reduce the run time on a whitetail as i'm again concerned about trying to keep the deer on my property?

I have always had farms to hunt on with 50 plus acres so this has never been asked or ever been a concern - but now I'm down here in Texas where I have much less property

Any advice that can help me feel better about this situation would sure be great - I'm stoked and looking forward to getting back to my roots and hunting again - just want to make sure I get these concerns addressed before the hunt as I am trying to always do the right thing

Regards

TDD
hawg hunter

Hunting Texas

Post by hawg hunter »

If there is a definite blood trail leave your weapon on your side of the fence. Criminal trespass is only if your armed or carring fishing equipment. find out who your neighbors are and get their phone no. so that you can give them a call in case some thing like what you are talking about happens.

Ronnie
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here in Ohio written permission is required to hunt. Where I hunt (small 70 acre farm) I have talked to most of the neighbors and have verbal permission from all to follow wounded game. I simply told them I would not be hunting on their property, but would like permission to track any wounded game that might go their way. A couple did give me written permission to hunt to avoid any disputes with any law enforcement officers, but all I've asked told me it would be fine to trespass when tracking game. Chances are they will never know I was there if I go on their property, but it's better to be up-front and honest with people and get permission.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

here most will trail deer without a weapon on others land unless they see posted signs or plain up front know the owner doesnt want hunters on there. If the land was posted we usually call and get permission since its always nice to ask.

But as far as I know, you can recover game thats wounded on other lands, just cant carry a weapon with you. Same for dogs and etc
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as far as Bheads also.. slick tricks, muzzy, splitfires, wasp, montec's.. they all do the job. You could put a perfect shot on a deer and he could still go 75-100yards before dropping with a bow, or he could drop within 5ft. You never know
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

In Virginia you used to be able to track wounded game on others property as long as you wern't armed. Just like Hawg said. I think I heard of them changing the law a while ago though. You might have to notify the landowner first before going onto his land now. I am not sure nor am I realy concercned with it because I don't usualy hunt in places where that would be a problem. I would recommend calling your local game warden to find out for sure. The law probably varries from state to state and if you get into trouble, saying something like I thought it was ok because thats how they do it in VA. or I did it because the guys on the excalibur forum said it was ok is not going to get you any sympathy. If you do shoot a deer that runs off of your property though, You should probably wait a while longer than usual before tracking, just to make sure it's dead and not going to get up and run further into a strangers land, possibly by their house or somewhere you don' want it to end up.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
A.W

Re: Hunting Location Concerns - How would you handle it?

Post by A.W »

Texas Dirt Devil wrote: There are no houses on the hayfields on either side and no one around me know's who even owns it for me to ask permission -
You could go to the land registry office and do a search and contact the owner. I don't know if that would help you this season but it would for next year.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

If all else fails and you want to be legal...call the game warden and ask him to come help you.....He will.....
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

You can find out your niehbors by going to the courthouse and find who's paying the taxes on the property in question.
Why ride when you can walk!
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

a spine shot from an elevated stand with that .06 might be worth considering also. good luck and be safe!
thanks philip