GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new paradox

GPS

Post by new paradox »

What are you guys useing for GPS,what is good and easy to use.I want one to use for hunting and fishing.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Magellan meridian platnium...have had it for 4 years now and love it...dont get a color type eats batterys...I think lowrance makes the best bang for your buck these days biggest screen and i think bass pro shop sells it with software to boot..I shopped them for a friend a few weeks ago and thats what i came up with..once you have one youll love it..good luck.....
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Garmin Etrex, goes everywhere I go Hunting Fishing, small rugged light weight and water proof, not to mention cheap easy to use and good on batteries and compatible with mapping programes.
If it feels good, DO IT.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D I got myself an new GPS76CSx color and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had and older GPS12XL and what a difference....if you are interested in your basic GPS PM me and we can make a deal on my 12XL. :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

I have two models. Both are made by Grmin. First is Garmin Etrex, it is the very basic version, no maps, black and white. Good for point to point basic navigation, Second I just purchased id a Garmin Legend Cx, color screen, maps, 64MB SD card, auto routing for street navigation address to address – works very nice. If you are going to get one get one with color screen as they are a lot easier to read especially with maps (topo or street). The first Garmin I have for few years and never had a problem. The second is pretty new so we’ll see. So far I really like it.
I bougt my Legend Cx from RadioWorld in Toronto, very good prices, check them out.

http://www.radioworld.ca/
Darz Bór!
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I have to use one of these on a daily basis for my work. After trying a number of brands, out department contracted for the Garmin Etrex Summit model. It's small, battery power is pretty good, although, this was a problem with all the models we tried. Power was good for a day, maybe two before the batteries needed recharging. They are durable, ours get used pretty roughly. Satellite accuracy is within 3 to 6 meters most of the time(which is why they were chosen, plus size). The read out is good and easy to read for most of the guys. One thing to consider, some of the models couldn't pick up the satellites consistantly, in some of the more remote areas I have to work in. The summit seemed to pick up the satellites quicker. I can only remember two occasions when I was unable to get a reading, but again, I use these everyday. Frankly, a Silva 1-2-3, a good topo map, and a basic knowledge of orienteering would serve most just as well for locating hunting spots or fishing "holes". All the models we tried had the "Track" and "Route" functions, which I suspect that what's your interested in. We use the GPS mainly for the inclinometer function, altimeter, Latitiude and Longitude, barometric functions etc. Most recreational users don't need all this stuff. Figure out what you want to use it for and buy the one with the best power economy, and ability to pick up the satellites, or you could learn some orienteering and never have to rely on batteries! I still check the GPS with compass and pocket transit(Can't teach an old dog new tricks!).

Good Luck
Joe
A.W

Post by A.W »

A couple of weeks ago WalMart had the Etrex Legend with TopoCanada CD for under $200. The CD alone is usually about $150. You may want to have a look there and see if they still have them.

I have the Etrex Legebd and one of the features it has is "Go-To" That's where you want to go directly to a "waypoint". A compass screen comes on and the arrow keeps pointing to the waypoint. Used that a couple of times. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

for hunting I generally use my Garmin 5 takes a beating and comes back for more. not the best at sat aquisition but great otherwise. Every year for moose camp I let a serious techie buddy of mine loose with my iQue 3600 . This year he had a google earth image of the hunt area on it , working with pathways software. that was pretty cool .
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I have a Magellan SportTrak. Can get me within a couple feet of saved landmarks. Waterproof, compact, floats, easy to use.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I'm on my third Lowrance model. I have a Global Map Pro, a Global Map 100, and an iFinder Hunt. I purchased them in that order. I like all three for different reasons. I like the bigger screen and memory if the iFinder when campared to the Global Map's. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way. They serve my hunting, scouting, and ATVing activities extremely well.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

Thanks for the input guys,I'm going shopping this week,hunting next,wish me luck on both parts