Virginia: Exomag-1 Deer-0

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerdhunter

Virginia: Exomag-1 Deer-0

Post by deerdhunter »

Friday evening just before dark I saw a 6 pt. but he stayed in the brush and didn't give me a shot. I did get to watch him rub a small tree. Saturday evening I went to anther stand about 75 yards away and further back in the thicket. I was in a 2 man 12' ladder stand in some thick pines near some oaks. The acorns here on the outskirts of Richmnod are falling like rain. About 30 minutes before dark I saw a doe slip past down through the pines with the 6 pt. following close behind. They went out to the edge into the oaks. Then in a couple of minutes came back into the thicket waiting for the light to fade. I had blown a grunt tube a few times but I don't think they were reacting to it. The doe came up through the pines with the buck lagging back about 30 yards. It was in real thick stuff and I only had a couple pf holes to shoot through at 20 yards or less. The doe stopped about ten yards away and looked right at me and gave those hard steps that indicate they are nervous. The buck still lagging back was watching her. She moved around to my left and I was afraid to turn and look at her knowing she was watching me. Eventually she worked her way almost under my stand by the noise in the leaves. The buck had eased up to about 20 yards but I could only see his left rear leg. By this time it felt like my arms would fall off from holding up the bow. Suddenly she snorted and ran off a little way. Then ran off a good ways and really began to blow. I remained frozen brcause I had not heard the buck run. Finally I was able to make out a piece of him standing and he took a couple of steps towards the doe. I thought this is it - I am going to get a shot. Then he turned directly away and I thought oh' no its all over. Then he turned and started back towards the oaks but on a line that was going to take him throgh an opening within shooting 20 yards. I swung the bow around but when he hit the opening he took three jumps and again I thought it was all over and that he was gone. At the last spot where I could shoot he stopped dead still. I immediately centered the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. I heard that sound that most of you know well - whack! He took off, ran about 50 yards and then I heard him crash into a bruch pile. I found my arrow covered with blood, walked out into the oaks and could see him streched out next to a brushpile. IT was an exiciting and wonderful hunt. I thank God for the privilege.
Eck

Post by Eck »

Congratulations from a fellow Virginian!
Rich

Post by Rich »

CONGRATS on your 1st EXOMAX deer.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats deerdhunter :D
How bout some pictures.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
diesel

Post by diesel »

Cool stroy , Congrats
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

congrats, post some pic sif you can.. I took one last wednesday out here in the northern neck(east of you). Pics are posted in the trophy room in this section

congrats and yes the acrons sound like rain out here also
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's ... way to stay on him !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Sorry fellers but I don't own a digital camera. This is the 3rd deer the exomag has put down for me in 2 years and I am delighted to say that none went over 75 yards. All double lung shots. No miss yet. It is one accurate bow. So the total score is exomag -3 & deer-0. I shot another 6 pt last year within 30 yards of where I shot the 6 pt Sat.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Good shot man... The magic wack! Gotta love it...

DrDan
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Cool story, yes that wack sounds like music to your ears
If it feels good, DO IT.