still confused with my digital ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

still confused with my digital ?

Post by R.J. »

Tried a new spot with ecoaster and chris4570 tonight ...

Found a nice funnel in the hardwoods ... did some trimming and went up a beauty tree with my climber ...

6:15 pm ... had a doe , 2 fawns and a spike buck pass by withing 10 yards ... got my camera out and got some great shots of the lead doe as she headed into the field ... great light conditions but still can only get an image in " greyscale " ? and the image is real dark on the view finder .

Shooting ISO 1600 and still came out dark ? ... must be shutter speed and apature ?

Back to the camera store and a talk with the tech rep ... !

This is what I did get ... too dam grainy etc. ... I would have nailed those shots with my 35mm !

Anyway ... just venting ! ... still a great night out ... good company , good scouting !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Wow! She does look alot bigger in your pics. She just looked like a decent size when they cruised by me.

It was neat to see the climbers in action. I gotta stop hanging around with all these diehard hunters. You guys got me searching the net for climbers tonight :D.

Love how you can be set up in a spot in no time. May have to invest in one myself.

Thanks again for showing some "young bucks" a few of your tricks.

It was fun.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

ecoaster : ... Yep ... cool to be able to walk into an area you have never been in ... do some high speed scouting , and the climber gives you an edge for quick portable set ups !

As for showing you guys a few tricks .... I think you guys got the system down pat already ! :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for the invite out ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

I like those pics, kinda artistic. Can you get normal colour pics from your camera set to Auto or 200 - 400 iso ?
If it feels good, DO IT.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

NZ Hunter wrote :
Can you get normal colour pics from your camera set to Auto or 200 - 400 iso ?
In Auto at 200-400 it always calls for the flash and flash pictures with a zoom = total blackness !

This camera has so many modes ! ... I talked to the technical rep. at the camera store ... he set it up for me but it is still NG !

I don't understand since I use to take great pictures in low light with my 35mm using 800 film and no flash ! ... should be able to duplicate those conditions with the manual adjustments on this camera ... just have to keep working at it !

6:15 pm yesterday , the light was great except for shadows from the overhead canopy of maple leaves ... the picture framed and focused perffectly but turned out dark when I loaded them to the PC ?

Anyway ... need more trails ... so I guess I need to get out some more ! :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

ecoaster wrote:Wow! She does look alot bigger in your pics. She just looked like a decent size when they cruised by me.

It was neat to see the climbers in action. I gotta stop hanging around with all these diehard hunters. You guys got me searching the net for climbers tonight :D.

Love how you can be set up in a spot in no time. May have to invest in one myself.

Thanks again for showing some "young bucks" a few of your tricks.

It was fun.
Ecoaster,
Take a look at the Summit Bullet folding climber. I'm really impressed with mine. My friend tried it and soon bought one as well to replace his non folding climber.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bruno-TL

Post by Bruno-TL »

Hey RJ, well we have different problems. This year for the first time I used one of the stealth cameras. Got great pictures both day and night, and they came out fine on the computer.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to post a picture to this site.????

As to climbers, at age 73 I just don't trust the old pins that much. Have gone to strictly fixed hang on'w.

TE
leonk

Post by leonk »

RJ

Digital tends to be grainier than good film,
what model Pentax do you have?

LK
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Bruno-TL wrote :
Now all I have to do is figure out how to post a picture to this site.????
Down load them to Photobucket site ...

http://photobucket.com/login.php

Highlite the Img info under the picture , then copy / paste it to the Excalibur page you are working on .

73 ! and still hunting from stands ! ... good for you ! .... I hope to live that long ! :lol: :lol:

leonk wrote :
Digital tends to be grainier than good film,
what model Pentax do you have?
It is a Pentax *ist DL
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

My Digital is worthless in low light. I cant tell you how many of pictures of nice Bucks I have lost out on because of Digital, on Sunday evening ofcourse when I cant hunt them.

Very dissappointing. :(
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

If you still have your 35mm camera you should think about using it for deer photos, maybe a little on the bulky side. I still use film and digital depending on what I am doing.
There are some digital cameras out there that do have very low noise and good colour at high iso settings. I believe Fuji have a compact but I cant think of the model right now with very acceptable results, saw one that a rep showed me at the shop, ideal for what you need. Usualy with high iso settings you will need to use the SLR range of diditals which have better glass wide appertures etc then you will be starting to pay big bucks. The person at the camera shop should sort you out with a camera you need, take it back and talk to a good sales person that knows what they are talking about who knows their product and swap it with another that will do the job you want it to do. or shop around.
Hope this helps
If it feels good, DO IT.
Isis

Camera

Post by Isis »

Hey Rick, I think I know how to get around the problem of your flash coming on in low light.
I will bring some duck tape with me, and we will give it a couple of raps around the camera. That should stop the flash from popping up. :-) [/quote]