Got me a nice doe...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Got me a nice doe...

Post by DrDan »

I nailed a 175# doe tonight - it was too dark to take pictures, maybe I 'll take one tomorrow and post it. It was my first with my Phoenix. With a straight through broadside shot just above the heart she made it about 125 yards. Went crashing down a steep bank down to a creek. When she jumped over some old washing machine junk on the bank she really shot out some blood, then she jumped the creek and only made it about ten more yards. That was my freeby landowner deer, now it's time to go for a trophy on the license tag. At least I got jerky meat and plenty of hickory cut up and ready to do some serious smoking. Fall isn't fall unless you can smell hickory smoke and mass quantities of jerky to munch on. We also make apple butter and lots of apple pies from our apple trees. It's been a good year... Ready for winter - got about 5 cords of maple cut, dried and split for woodburner. I a bachelor so I just live in a small hunting shack type of house (900 sq ft). It is very homey kind of place.

Good luck to all - I got a start on it...

DrDan
huntman

Post by huntman »

Congrats Doc sound like a sweet kill!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Congratulations DrDan.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Allan

Post by Allan »

drdan

What is your apple butter recipe?

I make maple butter, but I have no Idea about making apple butter.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congrats to you.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats Dan
JR

Post by JR »

Way to go Dr.Dan.

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I'll tell ya what... I owe my total success at hunting to my friends. Being in a wheelchair can complicate everything, but I don't let it bother me. I was lucky, a guy who had borrowed a log splitter from me for the weekend showed up about 10 minutes after I shot the doe. Without him it would have been pure hell to find it and get it out of the woods. Another few minutes later one of my hunting buddies showed up and insisted on gutting it for me. It's a little tough for a gimp to get down on ground to do anything.

Sooooo.... To put it mildly, I owe it all to my friends. I just put the arrow wher it needed to be - buddies did the work for me. Thanks to Ern and Bones!

Apple Butter Recipe (Straight out of Ball Blue Book of Canning)

2 dozen medium apples, quartered (about 6 pounds)
2 quarts sweet cider
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

First I cut out any bad spots since we don't spray our trees and they got worm holes here and there. Cook apples in cider until tender. Press through a food mill or seive. Measure three quarts apple pulp. Cook pulp until thick enough to round up on spoon. As pulp thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking (my job). Add sugar and spices. Cook slowly, stirring frequently until thick (about an hour) Pour hot into hot canning jars leaving 1/4" space at top of jar. Put sealing caps and rings on. We put sealing caps in boiling water to soften the sealing material. Process pints and quarts in boiling water covering the whole jar and cap. When you put them in the water it will cool the water to about 180 to 185 F Maintain it at that temperature for 10 minutes. Take them out with tongs and place on a towel so the cool slowly. Wait and make sure they all seal by the next day. If any don't seal you have to replace the seal or jar and process it again.

It an all day job, but it sure is worth it. I have never tasted any store bought apple butter that will even compare. It's a great thing to do with apples (LOL I hate to see any of god's bounty go to waste).

Try it you'll like it!

DrDan
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Congrats DrDan, good luck for your next
If it feels good, DO IT.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I just got up and read of your kill
Way to go Doc :D
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott