Compound's coming along

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Compound's coming along

Post by ecoaster »

Had this bow for a few weeks now. Took it to a bow shop and got it tuned and today I fine tuned the sights and rest. It has taken me about 250 shots to get to this point because the bow was set up REALLY wrong. Limbs were backed off so far that the bow shop owner said I was lucky it didn't blow up on me.

Anyway, it's all good now. Bulls are 2.5 inch diameter and I was shooting at 20 yards.

Now to move on to 25 and 30 yards.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

What do you mean when you say "the limbs were backed off"? The bolts holding them were loose?

Good shooting on the bag target. You are ready!
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

You just inspired me! I have a 'new to me' Bear compound and I have been working on some sort of grouping :oops: . I did a bunch of work to mine and I think the only thing that is left is practice.

P.S. Anyone in the Ottawa area - if you want good advice go to South Nation Archery near Winchester Ont. They really helped me out with my compound. My dad also bought a Phoenix there last week, they were basically the same price as Bass Pro in TO.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Nice shooting.

I think I'm gonna save up for a compound instead of a shotgun for next year.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Ecoaster what compound are you shooting ? If the limb bolts were backed too far out it could have been real bad :shock: . Did you buy the bow used ? it has me wondering why they would be so loose.
Here is a link to the type of compound I now shoot. Smoothest bow I have ever shot and just easy to work on as my Excalibur

http://www.monsterbows.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1443
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I thought that was an Oneida for a minute! I love the way those look.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I'm shooting a PSE Nova. I bought it used. The limbs say right on them to only back them off a maximum of four full turns of the bolt from tight. The limbs were backed off way more than that. Lowers the draw weight when you back them off. The guy must have backed them off so a kid could draw it. It was only about 30lbs and should have been 60lbs.
cubb

Post by cubb »

What does "paper tune" mean exactly?
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Cubb , paper tuning is a means of setting up a vertical bow so that the the arrow rest is set for right or left then up and down. The shooter gets about 6 to 10 feet back from a piece of paper that is drawn tight over a frame. I use a bare shaft to shoot thru the paper. The tear the arrow shaft makes in the paper tells me which adjustment I need to make to my arrow rest. Once the shaft makes a bullet hole I know my bow is tuned.
cubb

Post by cubb »

That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me. What did you use in your target bag for stuffing?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

cubb,`

It,s stuffed with old grocery bags. I would recomend using twice as much packing as you think you will need and really jam it in good with a broom handle. Thing is tough as nails.
cubb

Post by cubb »

good idea. i was thinking of making one out of cardboard. glueing them togeather, so it sort of looks like the ones you buy? but wouldn't beable to use broadheads though
TYE

Post by TYE »

cubb wrote:good idea. i was thinking of making one out of cardboard. glueing them togeather, so it sort of looks like the ones you buy? but wouldn't beable to use broadheads though
Hmm... I wonder how that would work.
cubb

Post by cubb »

i think i would work alright, either way? you could use the ends of the cardbord as the target, so the corrigation would stop the arrow? or the flat front? you would need about the same thickness of cardboard, as the ones you buy that are made out of foam?
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

I just got one of these - love it :)

Bowtech Allegiance