Any squirrel recipes???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Any squirrel recipes???

Post by DrDan »

I got a slew of squirrels hanging around and thought I'd nail a few with 22 rifle if they are good to eat. I hear they are - just don't know how to cook them. Any squirrel hunters out there?

DrDan
saxman

Post by saxman »

Hi Doc.
I like to stir fry the meat with a little butter and onions and the mix that with cooked yellow rice and sometimes add bits of sausage.
YUM!!YUM!!! I love Tree Chicken
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Try to shoot the young ones. The old ones get pretty tough. Fry the young ones just like momma fries chicken. Side order of biscuts & gravy or fried potatos and ya got a meal fit for a king.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's a good one for those big old ones. Cut them up into quarters, put in crock pot on low all day w/ equal amts of Coke and catsup. Add whatever seasonings you like, but part way thru, gently lift quarters out of sauce and let cool so you can de-bone. Put the meat back in juice and leave lid off til you are ready to eat, makes passible BBQ and works the same w/ rabbit.
"Eze 18:21"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Unless you've got really sharp teeth and strong jaw muscles I'd recommend the method I use. (very similar to awshucks' recipe)
Quarter them, boil them until the meat falls off the bones, then make a stew with the boned out meat.
wabi
huntertroyjack

Post by huntertroyjack »

1-2nsquirrels,dressed--water to cover squirrel--1 teaspoon baking soda--1-2 tablespoons butter--Place dressed squirrel in saucepan.Cover with cold water,add soda and heat to boilong.Remove from heat and rinse squirrel well under running water(rubbing to remove soda).Return to pan and cover with fresh water.Bring to a boil,reduce heat and simmer until tender.Place squirrel in baking dish,dot with butter,and bake at 350 degrees F until browned and crusty.Tip-Use the broth from cooking the squirrel to make delicious gravy.A pressure cooker is good to use for tenderizing a squirrel and works well with this recipe.Enjoy!!
troy
huntertroyjack

Post by huntertroyjack »

Strained baco drippings--2 squirrels,quartered--1/2 cup flour--1/2 teaspoon garlic salt--1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper--1/4 teaspoon paprika--1 1/2-2 cups fine dry bread crumbs--1/2 teaspoon basil(optional).Cook bacon and strain drippings.Pat squirrel dry with a paper towel.Roll squirrel in flour mixed with garlic salt,pepper and paprika.Dip in and completely moisten with bacon drippings.Dredge in bread crumbs seasoned with basil.Place squirrel in baking dish and bake at 375 F for 30-40 minutes on one side;turn and bake on other side for 30-45 minutes more or until well browned and tender.Tip:since bacon varies so much in the amount of fat,we did not give an amount;however,be sure to have enough drippings to completely moisten each piece so that the bacon flavour is imparted to the meat.
troy
huntertroyjack

Post by huntertroyjack »

1 1/2-2 cups chopped,cooked squirrel--3 medium potatoes(about1 1/4 pound)--1/3 cup bacon drippings or oil--1/4-1/2 cup finely diced onion--1/2 teaspoon salt--several dashes freshly ground black pepper.Remove squirrel from bones and chop into small pieces.Peel and coarsely grate potatoes.Put drippings in skillet and heat.Slide potatoes into heated drippings.Sprinkle onion,squirrel,and seasoning over potatoes.Cover and cook moderately fast until potatoes are browned on underside.Stir to blend,turn over,cover and brown on other side.Total cooking time is approximately 10 minutes.Serve immediately.TIP:Use spam scissors to make chopping squirrel an easy task.This is a good way to use a few leftovers.ENJOY!!!
troy
marmot

Re: Any squirrel recipes???

Post by marmot »

DrDan wrote:I got a slew of squirrels hanging around and thought I'd nail a few with 22 rifle if they are good to eat. I hear they are - just don't know how to cook them. Any squirrel hunters out there?

DrDan
A traditional way to prepare squirrel is in "Brunswick Stew." The only problem is that there must be over a thousand recipes for this stew. Every family seems to add their own twist to this early American culinary delight. The basic ingredients are almost always chicken, rabbit, or squirrel, corn, lima beans, celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste (I cannot seem to make anything without adding crushed garlic).
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've been thinking about picking off a few squirrels too.

How do you clean them after you shoot them? I have no idea of how to go about cutting them up.

I did find this video but he only shows how to skin them.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto ... 77&cat=523
ch312

Post by ch312 »

just search the net for rabbit recipes. there are thousands and squirell can be used instead of rabbit :wink:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

TYE just pull up fur and skin on back, make a cut width wise big enough to slide a couple fingers under the skin, pull in both directions and pull the hide/skin down in both directions, chop off feet and head. Then split length wise like any other critter and Gut out. I soak mine in salt water over night, rinse and then if lazy I use SHAKE & BAKE.... mmmmm good.

If gonna pan fry, boil in a pot until tender and then follow one of the above recipes ..... :D

On The Road, Wireless and loving it :!: :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
gametrail

Post by gametrail »

I roll them in flower, brown then in a skillet. Then I but then in a double boiler with water in the bottom and but the meat on top of the rack, cover with foil and bake 375 for 30/40 min.They will far a part, plus you have your grease for the gravy. It don't get no better.
Big John

squirel

Post by Big John »

Squirel's, Rabbits, all the same! Both go nice with Stew, Stir Fry, Bed of Rice and a glass of White wine! 8)
Tommorow it's Ruffed Grouse and my secret Recipe for the Wife and I, and if my youngest one isn't here then I get two extra Birds! :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
A.W

Post by A.W »

John. If your youngest Isn't there. What's your address? I can't be far from you. :wink: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.