Bagged my doe tonight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Bagged my doe tonight

Post by ecoaster »

Had some action last night in this one spot, so I decided to go back tonight. Moved my stand this morning to where R.J. got the pics of the big doe. He called it a guaranteed spot! Well he was right.

Had tons of squirrels making all kinds of racket around me, then at 6:45 pm I heard movement to my left and saw some legs. Saw a doe angling toward one of my shooting lanes. She hung up right at the edge and sniffed the cut branches for 10minutes. I didn't think she was ever going to step into the lane. She finally did, quartering toward me just in front of my marked 20 yard tree. I waited some more.

She finally turned broadside to smell my 20yard blaze on the tree and I let er fly. She did the donkey kick and ran back through the trees. I heard her pile up about 40 yards away.

The blood trail was almost non-existent, but I managed to follow it. I could tell from the bright, frothy blood that I hit lung, and the donkey kick told me heart too. I was right. Hit both lungs and cliped the top of the heart. Perfect!

I had to drag her a half mile out to the road, where I could go get the cart. Tough work, but worth it. Called into work and told them that I would not be coming in tonight. Not much going on anyway, so it's all good.

Now to get the tenderloins out :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Nice :D
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

Looks tasty,congrats.Manitoba opens next Monday,hope too get one of those.
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

Good job I wish I could clip the heart every time I just get double lung shots no heart.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Good shooting good eating. Congratulations on a good hunt.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

This is the smallest doe I have gotten so far. Usually when I hang em in the shed the head touches the floor, this one was a bit smaller. Looks like last years litter. Easier to drag and hang by oneself. I'm sure glad I didn't have the sights on that monster doe that RJ got some pics of. That may have killed me on the drag :D .

Bolt is no worse for wear. Just one dull blade where I clipped a rib.

On a side note. I changed my string today and took a couple practice shots to make sure it was on. Just for fun I tried jerking the trigger and looking to see the bolt hit the target. It was throwing my shots off by 3-4 inches at 20 yards.

When I kept my eye in the scope until the bolt hit the target, it was within 1/2 inch every time. Squeeze the trigger so you are surprised when it fires. I followed all these steps tonight and I can't stress enough how important this is. I shot right behind the leg, and that's where I hit. The bow will do it's job as long as the shooter does his/hers.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Enjoy the tenderloins...Mmmmm my favorite
Congrats

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats ecoaster :)
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Congrats Ecoaster. Good shot. Now it's time to go after the bucks.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Ecoaster,
Thanks for the reminder. It is alwyas good advise.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeeeet ! ... good shooting , nice doe !

I knew that funnel would pay off ! ... That is an ideal area to set up and rattle during the rut !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:D Congrats to you :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Ecoaster!

Your experimentation with shooting techniques proves the point:

Every rule of riflery applies just as rigourously to crossbow shooting. Some apply more, because it takes the bolt longer to get off the barrell than it does for a bullet to exit a barrell.

By paying constant attention to these factors, we can do some surprisingly accurate shooting:

Solid Rest
Sight picture
Breath control
Yardage awareness
Wind awareness
Familiarity with trajectory
Trigger squeeze
Follow through

Crossbows aren't rifles, but shooting them accurately requires attention to exactly the same factors.

This truth allows those who are experienced rifle shooters to instantly achieve good accuracy with a crossbow. My little brother, who had never shot a crossbow, was able to shoot mine two weeks ago ... and because he is a very good rifleman, he was able to shoot a 2" group at 20 yards with three bolts the first time he shot ... OFFHAND!

It pays to pay attention to the fundamentals!

Grizz
Grizz
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Congrats on the meat deer...good work!

korey99