Missed One (equipment failure)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

timberwolf

Missed One (equipment failure)

Post by timberwolf »

About five min after climbing the stand yesterday morning, I had five deer walk right in to 20 yards, 4 does and a spike. After a few min, he offered of a perfect quartering away shot at about 17 yards though on my off hand side. Fired and watched two vanes fline in the air 10 feet ahead of the bow. It was a clear shot so I did not hit anything.

Deer went every direction and I could not tell if I made a hit, so waited an hour, passed up two does that walked witihin 5 yards (was not sure if I had one hit). Went down to check where I shot and found the arrow in the ground it would have passed about knee level where the buck had been standing, at least it was a total miss.

I don't think I dammaged the lazer 2s sighting in as I used one arrow and then retired it and only shot the hunting arrows once each just to make sure all was ok. I checked over the rest of my bolts and found one other with a loose vane.

I cant belive it, a couple hundred target shots with other arrows and that never happened, then the first shot at a deer this year and it happens.

:idea: Lesson learned, check them arrows over twice! Guess I'm lucky we have 2 1/2 months of bow season.

Anyone else have this happen?
cubb

Post by cubb »

Sorry about your luck, I went out on saturday night, i usually go out behind my house and hunt a coner of a been feild and a hardwood line, and normally i sit on the ground with decent cover. I had a6 point and 4 doe come within 20-30yds, and i missed the 6 point i shot way over top. Then yesterday i had the bow out and noticed that the site was loose!!! So yes i learned to check those set screws after shooting for awhile. I did check the other bolts, but not those for some reason? i hope he comes back.
gad

Post by gad »

I do use cianoacrylate adhesives to glue vanes on my bolts. Any of them works well. You just must be precise, cause you just cant remove the vanes after a bad positioning of them on the shaft.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Yes that Goat Tuff stuff realy is Tuff. Im sold on it.
If it feels good, DO IT.