People tick me off VA hunters Read

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mama fed me good when I was a young'un!

Boy, I can tell you one thing ... I don't like cocking that Exomax by hand! It really stacks in the last several inches. Could be a back-cracker. I use the rope-aid whenever I can, which is most always. I've got nothing to prove. Seen too many get hurt proving things!

And it's a fact that uncocking it feels like you've just grabbed a draft horse by the tail!

It is a lot of bow.

Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

n/m finally got on there... do ya'll know they have the words xbow or crossbow blocked out so it reads something gay when u post that?

I went to post a pic of my deer and I cant since it has xbow in the link :roll:

the owner has some serious issues.. I was a admin on a few forums and you cant run a place like that if he expects it to make it :roll:
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I don't even waste my time on a forum like that. You won't change the moderator's mind. He's not going to wake up some day and say "Geeze, you guys were right, I'm sorry!" When someone takes such a firm stand like that, you might as well just let them keep their head up their &$$.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

now I know why i wanted a VA section here... MUCH more friendly and no one gives a crap what weapon you use. Its all about the sport of hunting and being with your buds..

I see this guy was on the outdoor channel, so all this musta went to his head :roll:

they deleted my pic of my deer I shot with the xbow there :evil:
TScottW

Post by TScottW »

Guys you are more then welcome to come over to http://vaturkey.com/phpBB2/index.php and talk about hunting. We are a good group and several of us use a Crossbow.

There are some who don't care for crossbows but your posts won't be deleted or moved unless someone goes against the rules.

Luckily this does not happen much at VaTurkey.
"A free people ought to be armed."
-George Washington
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've hunted all types of gear over the last 30 years. The crossbow is just as accurate as it's shooter. The amount of time you put into practice will directly impact the amount of meat in the freezer, regardless of the type of gear used in the hunt.

The things that need to be practiced more is judging distance and shooting from odd distances. Every shot isn't exactly a 30 yarder. Hunting with a crossbow and missing the distance by 5 yards will very much effect the POI as much as with a compound. Same applies to rifles, however, we are talking about 100 yards vs. 300 yards. You have to practice various yardages and get "the feel" of your weapon.

This is my first experience with a crossbow. I have not shot at any critters yet. However, I am killing my target at all yardages up to 50. Not good enough for me to hit the bullseye anymore . . .I want the center of the eye! Easily done with the EXOMAX, the right stuff package and some practice.

I colored one handle of the cocking aid white. This makes it easy to determine which handle to grab with my right hand. Not a big deal, but, just a hassle to switch hands 50% of the time.

Also, the EXOMAX is a load to uncock via hand. I use the cocking aid with the help of a short string I use to trip the trigger. I hold the trigger string loosely in my hands . . .once I get the cocking aid pulled back tight, I trip the trigger. The first time or two I tried this, it was tricky, but it's real easy now.

I grew up in VA and my Parents/Grandparents are still there. I plan on hunting on our land there Nov. 1 with my new EXOMAX! I deer hunt, so if it shows it's face within my range . . .it's gonna be a good day!

I have not encountered any protest to my crossbow yet. However, when I do, I'll just offer them the chance to shoot my EXOMAX. Once they shoot it . . .I'm sure the discussion will be different.
xbow_stan

Post by xbow_stan »

I've encountered the same attitude from bow shop employees (not Bass pro). My response is to not respond and take my business elsewhere. I doubt the owner feels that way, but he hired the people with the attitudes. I generally like to shop at local stores, and have bought two recurves from the above bow shop but no crossbow stuff.

It's really strange (but consistent!) how peoples attitudes just don't change easily. Virginia is not unique. For my part, I'm teaching my son to hunt with a crossbow.

Stan