COYOTE'S LOOK OUT !!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

COYOTE'S LOOK OUT !!!

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D After a lot of searching around for a good 12 volt scope light. I went with the night blaster 350 MAX 12 volt #IG-224761 / WITH THE 12 VOLT 12 AMP battery pack #IG-220740 from CABELAS.
http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0006362.shtml

BOY !! what a bright long range light,not the 350 yard it claims but a sure 175 to 200 yard light. Perfect for my MAX . I practiced last night in my yard out to 65 yards, No Problem's I put 6 out of 6 in a 4" pie plate , I could see out a lot farther, so I will also be able to use it on my 22 mag. next month , I have seen the 6 volt one work and was not impresed at all, I recomend this 12 volt set up .Looking thru The VARIZONE scope was just like daylight, If any one else is looking for a good light that dosent break the bank This is It GREYWOLF

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

Up here they would take your licence away 3-5 years just for possessing such a rig, dispite how cool it looks.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: Well I dont know why . Cant you hunt coyotes at night up there???
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]

Post by #16 »

GREYWOLF wrote::?: Well I dont know why . Cant you hunt coyotes at night up there???
Greywolf

In some places in Ontario coyotes are protected with no open season on them.
If they found some average joe after dark with a setup like yours they would lock you up and throw away the key.

Brad
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

Well here in MA USA we can hunt coon's and varmitts till midnight with 22 cal. guns and bows wiith lights !! We are over run with the dam things
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
TScottW

Post by TScottW »

We can hunt coyotes all year round and at night with lights here in Virginia except on Sundays. We can also hunt fox, bobcat, coon, etc.. at night when in season.

Nice setup.
"A free people ought to be armed."
-George Washington
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The only critters we can hunt at night are raccoon, and that must be done with a dog licenced to do so. Plus only the .22 rimfires are allowed except the .22mag.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I just ordered my light for the same purpose... I got the LightForce 140mm 400 watt and actually it was quite reasonable. $99 for the basic light, $25 for red filter, $14 for a second mount for shotgun. I believe I will hunt coyotes with AR-15 this year and sometimes with 10ga Mag so be nice to just click the light on. May just adapt my Phoenix also. Shots are usually fast and in close range, so I do like to be able to crank the rounds if need be. Yah Ohio is great - open season year around and can use lights - in fact it is law that you have to have a light on continuously if night hunting. I love wasting coyotes!

DrDan
xbow_stan

Post by xbow_stan »

Cool, but but some might compare it to a 15 yr old bikini clad girl in your car at nite...after coming home late from a swim party of course... certainly something to be discrete about even when you have a good explanation. A game warden, or Joe citizen seeing that setup would probably think "poacher". Not that crossbows have a reputation for that sort of thing, but sometimes the image of indiscretion is all that's needed. I would talk to a game warden before hunting using that setup at nite, but that's just me.

Stan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Ummmmm It be legal to hunt coyote at night in Ohio; It be legal to hunt them with xbow; It be legal to hunt coyote with light at night - Don't care what anybody thinks. It's legal! Rather keep it quiet in the middle of the night than rack off a few centerfire rounds or shotgun rounds.

It's a cool looking rig. Only thing I worry about with crossbow is that I put call right next to me so song dogs face me and I can see their eyes. Sometimes they come in fast and can end up in your lap so I like lots of firepower and can't reload xbow very fast. Oh well can always use 22 Mag pistol for that up close and personal encounter.

DrDan
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: :?: Well I am realy astonished ,, This aint no poachen weapon !! and after all the time I have been here on this site I AM INSULTED that that any of you who have delt with me or even had PM'S with me would even question my motives !!! Legal hunting in one state or COUNTRY may not be the same in another.!! dosent make you a bad guy !! I will take this as a misunderstanding between boarders !! If not any one that wants to question my motives !! say it now or drop,it ....... Last call !! for insults
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Hunting rules vary widely from state to state. You can shoot fish during a season they have in Vermont. Yes, SHOOT fish with firearms.
In Mississippi, it is legal to use poison pods on your arrows for deer hunting. Woody can confirm this as he emailed the Miss. authorities about it. :) In some states, bears are shot over bait. To me, that's disgusting, but to a hunter in one of those states that baits, it's no big deal to him as that's the way its always been.

Remember, all of these unusual rules making things like Grey Wolf's rig legal are put in place by the states game dept. for a reason...to control a certain species of wildlife that otherwise might become out of control.

The bottom line here is all of us hunters combined are still a minority in the big picture. We have to stick together and support each other regardless how distasteful some state laws seem.
Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Gary,

You are correct. Many areas have different and unique hunting methods. We all need to stick together. That is why I have never under stood the crossbow issues with other archers. I was a traditional archer for many years and an injury ended that but always had an interest in and made my own crossbows starting in my youth. I believe I posted the story some time ago about my Grandmother and that "dam thing"

Bear hunting and varmint hunting are the best examples. Bait/dogs/lights/day/night, types of sights and caliber are just a few. Many come from tradition some from sound management methods.

I have always wanted to do the Northern Pike Hunt in Vermont. I under stand it started many years ago (1800's) the pike was introduced by flooding of a cannel, dam or some other man made condition to some areas and they were destroying the fish population. I have seen the hunt. They hunt in the spring in the shallows and use elevated stands to keep the rounds from skipping across the lake.

Greywolf,

I think your rig is well thought out and should be very effective. I have seen similar rigs on bows and rifles for pig hunting down south. Good hunting and hope the set-up works to thin out the local population.

Kevin
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It's legal, then go for it. No need to explain yourself Grey
Wolf. I keep a copy of the regs in my truck for any questions or dissagreements I may have with someone. If anyone gives you grief, just pull out the regs, show them the law, and tell them to have a nice day!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yeah ... it should be the locals in any given area who determine what's OK and what's not. It isn't anybody else's business. I hate it when arrogant know-it-alls from far away decide that a method traditional to a region and allowed by common consensus and law is "unethical" or "distasteful" or "unsportsmanlike." I'm glad I don't see that on this forum.

In most cases, who asked them? And besides, who cares what they think? Did someone die and make them the boss?

For instance, I've read a lot of nasty comments on forums concerning three deer-hunting methods long accepted in eastern North Carolina ... baiting deer, hunting deer with hounds, and long-distance, "bean-field" hunting with centerfire rifles from tripods or box blinds. Inevitably, some tree-stand user who hunts in open, park-like woods where you can see for a hundred yards and the terrain limits deer movement opines that it's not sporting to bait deer or run them into the open with hounds or snipe them from a distance. Never mind that these sky-sitting, trail-watching hunters couldn't BUY a deer down here in these honeysuckle tangles and cane thickets where you can't see 10 feet and where there's a deer trail every ten yards and no variation in terrain for miles on end ... they know what's best for us, and what's best for us is what they prefer, and what works where they hunt!

Everyone has an opinion about hunting methods, but when it comes to what others far away do, I think it's best to hold on to them.

Solidarity in purpose is a better goal than bickering about preferences and practices, and our purpose is to present a united front against forces that would steal away our right to legally hunt game.

One of the best things about this forum, in comparison to many others I've seen, is the lack of contention, strife, and posturing. I think it's the best hunting forum I've ever been a part of.

Grizz