Falling bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sakman

Falling bolts

Post by sakman »

I just got an Exocet and it shoots great.

I have one problem with it in that the bolts are not held tight against the rail. I took the xbow out in the field for a test run and I had to keep it pointed upright to prevent the bolt from falling off.

How do you keep bolts from falling out? I was reading that a lot of guys hunt from treestands so this can't be normal.

Do I need to bend the spring (bolt retainer)? If so, is there a preferred method?

Thanks!
scottr

Post by scottr »

I usually cock the bow when I get into the woods but I only put the bolt in when i am at my stand or ground blind, I always remove it when carrying the bow around, from vehicle to stand....yes the bolt will move off the rail if you are carrying it around with the bolt in.
If it's brown it's down....
sakman

Post by sakman »

Does the bolt stay on the rail when you're ready to shoot down from a treestand?

If I tilt the xbow down, the bolt falls off. There is no real tension from the spring/retainer.

I'm ready to bend the spring to add tension but I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

That shouldn't happen. I walk through the woods with a bolt in and never have that problem. You are going to have to adjust the holding arm (sorry I don't know what it is called). I'm not sure off hand how to because I never had that problem but I know someone will tell you how to soon.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Best way to remedy your problem , take the scope off if you have one , remove the spring and carefully bend it so the spring is 1/4 " from the rail, put the 2 screws back in and check that your shaft is held, then put your scope back on.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I think I would send it back to have it repaired. An Excalibur xbow should not do this. I had a barnett that did this and it drove me batty. My exomag holds the bolt in properly.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

shurite44 wrote:I think I would send it back to have it repaired. An Excalibur xbow should not do this. I had a barnett that did this and it drove me batty. My exomag holds the bolt in properly.
It's a five minute job, like Digger said, probably due to user error somewhere along the line. I know I've snagged mine on brush, ect and had to adjust it. Not a biggie.
"Eze 18:21"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It should hold the bolt snug to the rail even when pointed down. I can turn mine upside down and the bolt is still held in place.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

ecoaster wrote:It should hold the bolt snug to the rail even when pointed down. I can turn mine upside down and the bolt is still held in place.
Mine too, ecoaster.

Grey Owl
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mine Too.
It has never fallen off
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sakman

Post by sakman »

Thank you all for the replies.

The xbow is brand new and the bolt retaining spring has always been loose.

I'll remove the spring and bend it as Digger mentioned.

Thanks!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Simply removing and slightly bending the spring should do the trick. Bolts should be held snug at all angles.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gad

Post by gad »

When I am waiting for a shot I always check the bolt before rise the xbow on my shoulders, I pull the bolt back agains the string. A friend got a semi-dryfire shot, cause the bolt was a little off the string. In this case, the bolt falls in the front of the xbow within 5 yards, and the plastic nock of the bolt broken.

So, even if you adjust the spring that holds the bolt down, check it before you get ready to shoot.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED